Installing window unit in aluminum frame window - how to secure?

Old 06-29-13, 02:23 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Installing window unit in aluminum frame window - how to secure?

Just purchased a small 6000 BTU Frigidaire window-mounted unit. The installation kit it comes from assumes you have wooden windows & frames, as it calls for brackets & screws to be set directly in the window.

Unfortunately only my sill is wooden, the window sashes & frame are aluminum. Currently I have the AC in place, but without the screws - right now it seems fairly secure wedged in there but who knows after running & vibrating if it'll stay that way or if the window sash will loosen & rise.

Here's a photo of the setup, with the provided screw holes (that I'm unable to fasten due to the metal frame) circled:

So I'm looking for a way to secure it in there and/or at least secure the sash from above so it doesn't slide up & allow the AC to fall.

I did buy one of those mountable AC brackets to support the weight, but that proved to be a waste as it requires an outer lip for the window sill, which mine doesn't have.

If all else fails I could cut a dowel or two and wedge them between the top of the lower sash & the frame - this would secure it in place, but if someone wanted to break in all they'd have to do was push the AC inwards as there'd be nothing fastening it that way.

Any advice? Just want a basic fix, nothing too involved, thanks in advance...

Sponsored Links
Old 06-29-13, 03:46 PM
Group Moderator
Received 187 Votes on 176 Posts
Use some short 1/2" self drilling screws into the aluminum. As long as you stay below the lift handle you will miss the glass.

Old 06-30-13, 09:03 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Cut dowels and wedge them above.

Old 06-30-13, 09:29 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Supplemental support outside, such as brackets?? Lotta weight on that aluminum without them.