Identify HVAC system and problem

Old 07-02-13, 06:21 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Identify HVAC system and problem

hello, I just bought a new house. It has two hvac systems. one for the master areas and another for the rest of the house. both units have have thermostats in the correct place but here is the MYSTERY....our one level home with @ 500 sq ft on second level has a thermostat for a total of THREE THERMOSTATS but i only have TWO HVAC SYSTEMS. The builder insists that the third thermostat is connected to the larger hvac system SOMEHOW and it serves both areas.
The Known:
1st hvac system @ 5 ton split system/gas heat
2nd hvac system @ 2 ton split system/gas heat
builder claims to have repaired the none working area twice but still no climate control going on. no air movement coming from the vents
The Unknown:
I have never heard of a single hvac system with two thermostats connected to it to serve two different areas. (correct me if im wrong PLEASE)
Please help me. i need it fixed before warranty expires.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-02-13, 06:28 PM
Group Moderator
Received 344 Votes on 322 Posts
It is possible that you have some kind of motorized damper that is controlled by the third thermostat.

Old 07-02-13, 06:47 PM
you likely have a zoning system.... follow the low voltage wires from the 5 ton system and see if they go into a panel (zoning panel).

Old 07-05-13, 09:01 PM
thanks for the replies, the ac tech actually installed a new line to the condenser so im told, theres a hole in the sheetrock. the unit is working now and i think it has some kind of electronic damper on it. it don t work great but it does cool so im happy. when i get in the attic i will take a look at it and post on here exactly what i find.....