AC contact/contactor?

Old 07-05-13, 10:57 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
AC contact/contactor?

Thru learning from this forum, I know feel comfortable changing capacitor. Did it a few times.

But I'm still 'afraid' of contact. From reading it here, it's also a common point of failure.

a couple of questions for you guys.
First, are there different types contacts? in other words, does AC model matter?
secondly, is there a good instruction that I can read on how to test and replace a contact?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-13, 11:08 AM
Super Moderator
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
It's "contactor"....which also has contacts in it.

Model doesn't matter...but yes there are different types. Even if they look different, as long as they have the same specs, no problem with interchanging.

Perfectly safe to change as long as you disconnect all power (including the low voltage) to your HVAC system. Some testing is done with power on, but as long as you exercise proper safety, it's not like it will explode in your face.

Instead of me typing...I'll try to find the webpage I had up the other day on testing.

EDIT: Ok...found it. I won't endorse the company or anything....but the help guides are pretty well written for beginners. Air Conditioner Contactor Replacement, A Homeowner's Guide

Last edited by Gunguy45; 07-05-13 at 11:41 AM. Reason: add link
Old 07-05-13, 01:42 PM
Group Moderator
Received 340 Votes on 318 Posts
Do you actually have a problem with your unit and this is for future reference ?