Redirect cool air from wall unit around furniture

Old 07-07-13, 08:05 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Redirect cool air from wall unit around furniture

My issue is that living in NYC with a small room and too-many possessions, I have very little flexibility as far as how to arrange the room. And, because I'm dealing with a through-wall unit, moving the AC is not an option. As of right, the back of my piano gets very cold while the rest of the room remains fairly warm. I wonder if there is a product to go in/over the cool air output with short ducts that could redirect the cooled air over/under/around the piano? If not, how would I go about making something like this that would work as efficiently as possible? I've been avoiding trying to do this myself and winding up with an inefficient solution that fries my unit and my electricity bill, and I don't know if I'm just missing the proper terminology to do a good search for what I need.

Thanks for the help!

-Josh

Old 07-07-13, 08:24 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,088 Upvotes on 3,671 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

As far as I know there is nothing you can purchase that will accomplish what you are trying to do. You make have to be a little creative with either some thin plywood or maybe cardboard and duct tape. Maybe try making a directive duct to blow the air a different direction out of cardboard first to see how it works and then construct it out of something more permanent.

Old 07-07-13, 10:44 PM
J
Thanks! Creative is more fun anyway. Perhaps I'll post pictures of the final product if I'm able to make something that's not hideous.

Old 07-09-13, 10:59 AM
T
Received 31 Upvotes on 25 Posts
Short and sweet answer is to purchase a fan and blow/circulate the cool air into the room.

Old 07-18-13, 10:56 PM
J
I tried a few different fan positions before I went for the complicated way, thanks though!

What I wound up making lets me direct the air in 3 directions - one just shoots the bulk of it up to circulate around the room and fall back down, while the other two go under the piano and can be aimed (at my bed and my desk, in this case). It seems like there ought to be a simpler (and more attractive) consumer product out there that does this, but mine is working just fine. Thanks for the cardboard tip - really narrowed down what parts I wanted to get once I got to the store!

Name:  IMAG0212.jpg
Views: 7610
Size:  31.5 KB

Name:  IMAG0213.jpg
Views: 7958
Size:  16.8 KB

Name:  IMAG0214.jpg
Views: 9338
Size:  25.0 KB

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title: