Condenser fan stops in cooling cycle

Old 07-11-13, 05:14 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Condenser fan stops in cooling cycle

System mostly works fine. Then the house feels warm. I look at the condenser and notice the fan has stopped. The house fan (blower) remains running and cannot be turned off at the thermostat. I go into the basement and turn the emergency switch to off. Maybe a minute later I turn the emergency switch back on. Some minutes go by and I notice everything starts working again. This scenario has repeated less than ten times within the last six days. Seems to be occurring more and more frequently though. Has not occurred over night. I believe it always happens during the day. Please help.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-13, 05:26 PM
It could be the thermostat calling off the condenser even when it has not met the set temp. Also if you can't turn off the blower with the thermostat something definitely is wrong with the thermostat unless you have wired or programed it wrong.

Old 07-11-13, 07:49 PM
How do I troubleshoot the thermostat?

Old 07-11-13, 08:26 PM
Group Moderator
Received 267 Votes on 250 Posts
It sounds like your system has a timer controlled blower......which means it would run for a given amount of time once the thermostat wasn't calling for AC anymore.

Your don't know if your condensor fan stops during the run cycle or it just doesn't start on the call for AC.

You need to determine if the compressor is running when the outside fan is not. Every time you shut power off to the system and turn it back on.....you are resetting a safety control.

You may have a condensor fan issue or possibly low on refrigerant charge.

Old 07-12-13, 11:02 AM
Yes forgot to mention the blower does keep running for a short period of time after the a/c is turn off so do give it some time before you go and shut off the whole system.

Old 07-12-13, 11:06 PM
Will check if the compressor is running even though the condenser fan has stopped. Will also check the contactor to see if it is actuated by 24v from the thermostat. Does the fan have a thermal cutoff or auto-resetting breaker? (Carrier 38TRA036) Can't find a service or shop manual. Thanks

Old 07-13-13, 04:16 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Old 07-14-13, 06:19 PM
Thank you very much wirenut1110 for the diagram.

Old 07-14-13, 06:54 PM
Well it happened again today. Again the compressor fan was not running. Decided to take the panel off and check to see what was or was not working or receiving power. I was surprised to find connection and schematic diagrams right there on the electrical panel cover. I took electrical panel cover off (condenser unit power still on) and low and behold the fan started working. The fan had never come back on without me first shutting off the emergency switch in my basement. So I looked for loose connections but did not find any. Also I was not able to isolate the problem electrically because the problem disappeared for now. Now that I have the wiring diagram, thanks @wirenut1110, I will try to electrically isolate the problem to a component or possible loose connection/oxidized relay contact or whatever. Thanks everyone. Will let you know what later transpires.

Old 07-15-13, 03:14 PM
It happened today also

Same symptom: condenser fan not running. Banged on the outside housing. The fan started back up. Will try pushing the fan blade next time.