Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Heating, Cooling, Air Conditioning, Ventilation and T-Stat Controls > Air Conditioning and Cooling Systems
Reload this Page >

Please Help!!! Leaking Carrier Coil (CK3B) - Need Advice on Replacement Model

Old 07-14-13, 03:28 AM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Based on my research on the internet, the Carrier CK3B model is notorious for leaking. Well, the unit has served me for 13 years and now it time to replace due to leaking. The unit is not holding r22 freon. The model number of the unit is CK3BXA048021AAAA. I plan to purchase the coil myself. Can someone recommend a replacement model. Please provide the full model number of the unit I need to purchase. I want to puchase the new coil on Monday morning (07/15). Please help!!

Old 07-14-13, 11:15 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 95 Upvotes on 88 Posts
Carrier no longer ships their evaporator coils with R22 TXV's. You will need to get a separate R22 thermal expansion valve and have it installed on the new box coil.

The new Carrier coil is usually taller than the old one, often requiring modifying the supply air plenum.

The installation of an evaporator coil is not considered a DIY job on this forum.

Old 07-14-13, 07:06 PM
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
I agree that it is not a DIY job. Unless you already have a contractor lined up, I would hold off until you can find one that will put in a coil that you personally purchased as they can not/ should not put any type of warranty on something that a homeowner/consumer has purchased on their own.

Old 10-14-13, 02:25 PM
B
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Did you resolve this issue?

I was attempting the same route as you. How did you resolve this?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: