AC condenser restarts per day issue

Old 07-14-13, 09:14 PM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
AC condenser restarts per day issue

Hi,

I have looked everywhere online and i see issues of AC condenser(outside unit) restarting too much but i cant seem to find how many times per day should a condenser restart per day before it is considered too much? my house does get cold over 3 hrs (1100 sqft home) of using my Central Air that came with the house. there was no info or manual that came with it but i feel that the condenser restart wayy too much just to cool the house. it will turn off for 5-10 min at a time for maybe 15 times a day and i feel it is costing me on my utilities since i heard that the ac starting alot cost more that an ac that just runs all day (explaining this part to me further would be helpful too). is this normal or is there an issue with the AC?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-15-13, 04:54 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
There are many factors that go into the equation....

Home insulation
hvac system efficiency
multi level home?
thermostat used to control hvac
does your hvac maintain setpoint
proper ductwork
proper hvac installation

As long as there is 5 min between A/C cycles then it is perfectly fine for it to restart. There is not a set number of cycles that a system should go through in 1 day.

Old 07-15-13, 06:42 AM
The thermostat could have a five minute delay before the A/C is allowed to come back on again; the short time span causing the condenser to restart within a five minute period would seem to indicate that there is a problem somewhere causing the short on & off-time cycles.

I believe the thermostat may be too sensitive with too close a tolerance, therefore, I would buy a low-cost swing adjustable thermostat, you can set the length of cycles, and this adjusts for longer off times as well.

Though cycles will vary; with normal outdoor temps, it is ideal to have at least 15 minutes of on-time and close to that many minutes of off-time so that you do not exceed much more than 2 "two" or 3 complete cycles per hour. That requires a tight well insulated home with excellent duct work & airflow…

Well there is a possibility that the supply air is somehow affecting the thermostat causing it to cycle off too soon, and thus causing it to cycle on again too soon.

Check the type TH you have...it may be cycle adjustable; if not...

ACE hardware’s ACE ATX 1500 411576 & LUXPRO’s PSP511LCa both have SWING settings. Read the instructions!

Old 07-15-13, 06:30 PM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
Large industrial motors (generally over 100 horsepower) are often limited in the number of starts per hour or sometimes starts per day. I once worked in a testing facility that had two air compressors that were limited to two starts per shift. They were (if I remember correctly) 1700 and 1200 horsepower. They were started ONCE in the morning and then ran all day long even though the air was only used for about fifteen minutes of every hour.

Residential air conditioning equipment is NOT limited to starts per hour or starts per day. The five minute restart delay is to allow the pressures in the system to equalize before restarting the compressor motor. Some units have the restart delay built into the condensing unit and some use a restart delay built into the thermostat. No need for both delays.

Old 07-18-13, 10:49 PM
E
thnx everyone for the help however now the AC does not cool entire home, seems that it cycles too many times, then it shuts off completely even though the thermostat reads it as cooling. im thinking maybe the circuit breaker? its a 20 amp but should i try a 30 amp? yes filter is replaced. it just seems the hotter it gets, the worse the ac operates

Old 07-18-13, 11:39 PM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
Does it trip the 20 ampere circuit breaker requiring you to reset that circuit breaker? If not, then it is NOT the circuit breaker.

If it DOES trip the circuit breaker then we need to know what size wire is connected to the circuit breaker AND what the nameplate of the condenser unit states in regard to minimum circuit Ampacity and maximum circuit breaker rating.