Is this my condensate pipe?

Old 07-15-13, 04:02 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Is this my condensate pipe?

Have a leak in the garage when AC runs. And I learned from here to vaccume the condensate pipe. I have my wet vac ready, is this my pipe though? Doesn't seem like any water is running out but the AC is off.

Attached Images  
Old 07-15-13, 04:09 PM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Most likely...unless you water heater is right there as well. (I think the WH may require copper...so likely it isn't that.) If you have a leak in the garage...either a pipe joint wasn't glued right or the pan is overflowing and somehow leaking in to the garage.

Old 07-15-13, 04:13 PM
Received 27 Votes on 22 Posts
Have you tried to see where the pipe runs inside the garage? If it connects to the air handler (blower) or furnace, then it likely is the condensate pipe.

Old 07-15-13, 04:23 PM
C
It hasn't leaked within the 2 years I lived here. I walked around the house and can't find any similar pipe so I'm going to assume this is it.

As far as water heater goes (I know this is the wrong thread) any maintenance I can do to it like my AC pipe. I'm going to try to vacuum it, no harm if it's not my condensate pipe right?

Thank you for the replies!

Old 07-15-13, 04:33 PM
Super Moderator
No harm at all. If the house is newer...then draining and flushing a WH is always a good idea. If it hasn't been done in years and years...then best to leave well enough alone and start the maintenance when the replacement is installed. Newer gas heaters DO need to have the screen for air inlet cleaned or it can lead to shutdown issues.

EDIT...don't forget to look up when you are looking for another pipe. Had a member just recently with the primary way up at the edge of the roof and the secondary at ground level.

Old 07-15-13, 04:36 PM
C
Thanks! I fear I lack knowledge to contribute to the site.

Old 07-15-13, 05:19 PM
C
Would it help if I had the AC on when I vacuum the pipe? Doesn't look like anything is coming out.

There's another small pvc pipe next to the ac part in the garage, it's in an L shape with a lid at the elbow that when I pull the lid water comes out. Is that what I need to vacuum instead?

Or continue to vacuum from the outside until it's free?

Last edited by Cronut; 07-15-13 at 05:41 PM.
Old 07-15-13, 06:10 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
picture of the pipe inside will be helpful

Old 07-15-13, 06:20 PM
C
Thank you. Water spills when I remove the cap. Or should I continue to try and drain with vacuum from outside?

Attached Images  
Old 07-15-13, 06:31 PM
Super Moderator
Well...that looks like the primary drain and apparently the blockage is after the plug. I'd start with a coat hanger or piece of wire from both the outside and the plug.

Old 07-15-13, 06:33 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
the best thing you could do is cut the pipe closer before (closer to the furnace) then the plug. Be prepared with a bucket to catch the water. Next glue on a 3/4" PVC union for future servicing. Next blow though the pipe (with plug still in place) to clear the blockage.

Old 07-15-13, 06:40 PM
C
Okay, coat hanger straight down and to the right didn't show any debris. I let all the water flow out. Hanger outside didn't reveal anything. Do I vacuum inside the garage or try again with the outside pipe?

Should I turn the AC on and see if water comes out of that outside pipe?

Last edited by Cronut; 07-15-13 at 06:57 PM.
Old 07-16-13, 02:26 PM
C
This is weird, I got a cheap snake and pushed the obstruction so now the main drain is clear. I poured 1/3 part bleach 2/3 part water down and it went down. I go outside to what I assumed was the condensate pipe to see water get flushed through but nothing came out. Do you think I just pushed the clog further into the pipe?

Assume I should vacuum what I assume is the condensate pipe from the outside then?

Old 07-16-13, 03:08 PM
Received 27 Votes on 22 Posts
If you felt an obstruction with the snake, you probably did just push it further in. When you snake the pipe, you need to go completely through the pipe to push the obstruction completely out of the pipe. The exception would be if you have a snake with a "drill" at the end that you can twist and it breaks up the obstruction. Once the obstruction is either removed or broken up, you should be able to get water to pass through the pipe.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: