I'm thinking DIY Whole House Window Fan

Old 07-16-13, 11:48 AM
D
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I'm thinking DIY Whole House Window Fan

Hi Folks,

My 3rd floor in my small stone twin has a cathedral ceiling with no attic or soffits to speak of. I have been looking at the Air King window fans but was also wondering if anyone here has tried building a DIY whole house window fan. My thought was to use something like an Air Vent Gable fan and mount it in a box with a screen, some sort of switch that can contol speeds, and of course, a screen. This would then git perfectly in my 25" wide double hung window otherwise, I would have to go to great pains to retrofit the Air King.

Another way might be to have my roofer install a roof mounted type fan but they don't seem to move as much air. My roof is asphalt on wood (1" thick) with about 8 inches of insulation, then drywall.

I would appreciate any thoughts or suggestions on a way to proceed here. My goal is to pull as much air as possible through the house but also to have it be not too noisey as the 3rd floor is one big room and that is our family room. Is there a product that I should look at? What about my DIY fan idea?

Thanks so much!

Greg

Old 07-16-13, 12:12 PM
B
Received 47 Upvotes on 43 Posts
I have one similar to this one from your link:
Air King 9155 16 Inch 2470 CFM 3-Speed Window Fan with Storm Guard Housing

3 speed reversible direction. It is wider than 25" but should be something you could modify. We leave the screen in place to avoid bugs and it does a great job. Being seasonal I would not want something built in, that's just me.

Bud

Old 07-16-13, 04:41 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
fan in the roof

For anyone reading this post, I personally wouldn't put one in the roof as you need to deal with rain and maybe water leaks. It will do well to have one on the inside close to the ridge to get the heat of out the room. The wall is your best bet. For the winter, you'll need to insulate well from the cold if up north... and especially the lost heat.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: