Drain pan cleanig tool

Old 07-16-13, 11:54 AM
J
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Drain pan cleanig tool

I posted last year about the Trane XL15 that was leaking all over the place. This was not a first time issue with this A/C. It seems every year when I have it serviced, within two weeks, its leaking.

The last time they said I would need a condensate pump if it happened again. Of course, it happened again so I vacuumed the heck out of it and it was ok.

Fast forward to this July, again within two weeks of service it was leaking like crazy, and again, I vacuumed for about an hour from outside and inside, also blowing air from the inside. So far, it has been ok.

I get a lot of water, mostly clear and no debris of any kind.

Shouldn’t the safety switch shut the A/C off before it leaks all over?

Could there be anything else besides algae causing a blockage. Like a buildup of something similar to the plaque we get in arteries? The pipe is 32 years old.

Has anyone used the Clog-Popper or Mighty-Pump or one of the other tools available? Any of these would be cheaper than a condensate pump.

Appreciate any info.

Old 07-16-13, 12:33 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,324 Upvotes on 2,067 Posts
I use the technical term "snot" for the stuff that grows in condensate trays and pipes. I use a light duty plumbers snake and run it through the drain line a few times and then flush with water. For shorter pipe sections you can use large wire ties which are available in the HVAC section of most home centers. They are used for securing flexible duct and are about 3' long and flexible enough to go through most bends in the pipe.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: