Room Addition To Existing Central Air - Help Needed

Old 07-16-13, 02:24 PM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Room Addition To Existing Central Air - Help Needed

Hello experts!

I have a 310AAV - Description

Furnace...there are 2 plenums to each side. Ironically both are supplying cold air to some rooms? 1 to the main room and the kids bedrooms, the other to the master...and the LIVING area. (Is this normal?)

Not sure which one is the "Return" box??? Is it always metal or is it ductwork?

Anyways - we have an attic with soffits near the rafters. Incredibly hot up there...~ 105 degrees. I want it to be much cooler (I know some may wonder why I need this, but I do...sometimes my kid loves the attic as his secret place...its annoying but eh).

The attic sq feet is less than 400 sq feet...the walking part is much lesser.... Is there a way to TAP into my existing bryant ductwork or plenum??? I had a AC guy come and notice the condenser is more than capable of supplying the house...the house is ~ 2700 sq feet with a 1st and 2nd story. Two seperate condensor units per section.

Help needed ...

I was told to just cut a hole in the phenum...get a duct box...etc. But how would one...re-patch a cut up phenum/ductboard ?

Thank you,

HVAC NEWBB!!!

Old 07-16-13, 03:16 PM
F
Received 39 Upvotes on 31 Posts
Welcome to the DIY forums.

Two plenums on each side or a plenum on each side? Pictures of the furnace (from a distance, no close-ups) might help.

If you have soffit vents in your attic then you do NOT want to try to add cooling UNLESS you want to try to cool the great outdoors. Is this an older house with a fixed stairway to the attic and does the attic have a floor? Honestly, I think it would be better to lock the door and keep your child out of the attic.

Lots more, please post back.

Old 07-16-13, 05:35 PM
H
Hi,

I unfortunately can't take the attic space away from him...I'm afraid. And I'm well against cooling the outside of the house...but that's beyond my control. I absolutely need to condition the attic..the soffits are near the rafters...the walking area is small and apprx 10 ft away from the soffits. I do need to cool it....or at least a small area in it....

I would love to know if this is possible...for the times he is there...he only likes it there during summer.....so I would only need to route cold air to that area during summer.....please respond.

I'll send pics soon.

Thank you.

P.S. 1 plenum each side. I noticed my house 1st floor has 2 returns...and it actually is using ductwork from a duct vent.....to the right plenum....so my mistake on the OP.

Last edited by HVACNewb; 07-16-13 at 05:59 PM.
Old 07-16-13, 05:38 PM
H
Also want to mention...soffit vents are like a tiny strip with little holes. Not big vents to the outside...ill get pics for you so you can help me out better. thank you so much!@!!

Old 07-16-13, 08:31 PM
F
If you are afraid of your son then you have far more problems than just a hot attic.

Old 07-16-13, 08:54 PM
H
Hi Furd,

Not afraid. I actually CANNOT take that place away from him. It's a psychiatrists recommendation....I'll get back to you with pictures soon.

Old 07-17-13, 01:30 AM
F
Okay, that puts it in an entirely different light. It will still be difficult but maybe we can come up with something that will help.

Old 07-17-13, 01:10 PM
H
Old 07-17-13, 10:25 PM
H
Bump please. just trying to figure this out

Old 07-18-13, 12:28 AM
F
Not necessary to "bump", amazing as it may seem I do have a life away from my computer.

Unfortunately, your pictures are useless. I need to see it as a "big picture" so I can see how it all ties together. Maybe a wide angle lens setting or (if possible) from farther away. If neither is possible then a series of pictures showing all of the furnace and ductwork along with other areas of the attic. I also want to see if there are any obvious hazards to your son that we can help to alleviate.

How old is your son? Trust me, I DO understand his necessity in having an area all his own and away from others. I used to live under the front porch of my parent's home.

Right now I would say that as long as he has a ready supply of water (big insulated jug works) that he is probably not in any immediate danger from the heat PROVIDED it doesn't get much over 110 degrees F in that space. Unless has some medical problem in addition to his emotional condition he will come out if he gets too hot. That doesn't mean I am "turning my back" on the question but I do need to see the big picture.

Last edited by Furd; 07-18-13 at 01:06 AM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: