Window Kit for AC unit and an old window

Old 07-18-13, 11:06 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Window Kit for AC unit and an old window

Hi,

I have an 8000 BTU floor AC unit (a Danby DPAC 8399-2) that I use to cool a small office. I am trying to connect the window kit (the part that you put in the window which the hot air output hose connects too). However, the office is an extremely old building. The windows don't slide up or down. Instead, the windows have a handle bar at the bottom and the window opens out at an angle from the bottom (easiest way to imagine is if you have a book with the binding pointing up, the back opens backward).

Is there something I can install in my window that will allow me to connect the hose and block off the window? I have jury rigged a solution with some cardboard but it's not ideal. It leaks and the cardboard gets hot.

Thank you for your help!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-18-13, 11:25 PM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
If hinged at the top you have an awning type window. If hinged at the bottom you have a hopper type window. In either case you would want a piece of plywood cut very carefully to fit in the frame OUTSIDE of the inner stop. It has to be cut to allow for the hinges and also to fit snugly but not too snugly. You install it from the inside by pushing the plywood out the window and then carefully pulling it back against the stop. This plywood would (obviously) have a hole cut out for the exhaust duct to fit snugly.

I'd show you mine but I don't want anyone to see how bad my blackberry infestation is.