Air handler fan will not go off, set on auto, thermostat checks out ok.

Old 07-20-13, 10:37 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Air handler fan will not go off, set on auto, thermostat checks out ok.

The blower on my air handler stays on after the compressor goes off, it is set on auto. The compressor comes on and off with no problems. If I lower the temp on thermostat the compressor will come back on as it should and go off when it reaches target Temp. but fan will stay on. If I turn the thermostat to OFF the blower still stays on. This problem does not happen all the time, when it does happen, in order to turn fan off, I have to turn thermostat to heat, turn the temp way down then turn blower off by power switch located on the air handler it self, then turn the switch back on, the blower will stay off. I then turn the thermostat back to cool and everything will work fine for a couple of days, until it happens again. I have replaced Thermostat twice same result I'm looking to replace contact relay 2 pole and contact wire back to the air handler. Unit is Goodman 3 ton Model ckt-36-1a. R22 system. Air Handler is Singer ( comfort maker). both have been well maintained and are in good condition. other than this recent problem they have only required normal maintenance. ALL SUGESTIONS WOULD BE HIGHLY APERICATED.

Last edited by Gunguy45; 07-21-13 at 07:27 AM. Reason: Removed email addy. Against the rules for your protection from spam.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-21-13, 07:28 AM
Group Moderator
Received 260 Votes on 245 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

We're going to need the model number for your air handler. I believe the Singer is also electric heat so that may mean you have a sequencer issue inside the air handler.

Old 07-21-13, 09:17 AM
first try removing the wire from the G terminal on the thermostat... does the fan go off?

Old 07-21-13, 07:57 PM
There are 2 serial plates one is metal showing a Model GU3-00-14M
The other is a plastic covered card that said " in all correspondence refer to Model GU311100-14M
The S/n is 210406-E19-0048 It is a GAS unit.

Old 07-21-13, 08:09 PM
When the green wire was removed from thermostat the blower did NOT GO OFF, thank you for helping.

Old 07-21-13, 08:10 PM
You may have a stuck relay or a stuck sequencer.

Old 07-21-13, 09:22 PM
Are you talking about the contact relay in the condensing ( compressor) unit or some other relay in the Air handler ?? Fan Time Relay ? where would the sequencer be located on this unit. Sorry don't know what it is , but by it's name I assume it turns things off and on in a certain sequence including the blower??? Do you have any Idea where I could get a manual on this furnace.

Old 07-22-13, 04:11 AM
I just saw that it is a gas unit.... if that is the case then remove the wire from G on the control board. If that does not stop the blower and you do not have any diagnostic flashes on the control board then it is likely that the furnace control board needs replaced.

Old 07-22-13, 09:20 AM
Do you know where I can get control board for this particular unit ??