1HP split-type aircon questions

Old 08-02-13, 06:04 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
1HP split-type aircon questions

I just had my split-type aircon installed and have a couple of questions in mind:\

1.) When I set the temperature of the indoor unit to 17C, does that mean that the room (after a couple of minutes) should reach 17C as well? I'm using a Fluke thermometer and it seems that the air coming out from the indoor unit is around 17.3C but when I measure the room temp (although it is very cold) is not 17C. Is this normal?

2.) When the installers finished installing the unit assembly, they added Freon (refrigerant) to the loop because they said that they used a copper tubing longer than 10ft. They said that the refrigerant included in the system is only for a copper length of 10ft. To compensate for the additional length they used, they said that it is required to add extra Freon. Is this true?

3.) What is exactly the difference between AUTO and COOL modes?

Hoping for your help. Thanks.

Old 08-02-13, 07:01 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,406 Votes on 1,301 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

1) The temperature you set the unit to is the temperature where it will stop cooling. The room will take time to reach the set point. Depending on many things.... like.... indoor temperature, outside temperature, humidity...... it may take up to several hours to reach the setpoint.

2) The unit and line set come pre-charged for a certain length. I think 10' is a little short. I thought it was over 25' but since we don't know what kind of unit you have..... it may be 10' max.

3) In the AUTO mode it could mean that the fan varies speed based on temperature or it could be that when the unit reaches temperature that the fan and compressor shut off.

In COOL mode the compressor will cycle on and off based on the set temperature but the fan will remain running until unit is shut off.

Old 08-02-13, 09:36 PM
K
Thanks.

1.) So if it would take several hours just to reach that temp, it would be better to set it to a temp that would be reachable easily if I want to use the aircon for a short period of time?

2.) Oh ok. As long as I know it's normal then I'm good. I have a Carrier Zen 1HP aircon. How did the installers know how much of Freon to add? I saw them using pressure meters.

3.) So in essence, the Auto is always better if I want to save on electricity?

Old 08-02-13, 10:31 PM
Group Moderator
It could take several hours to reach that temp. It depends on the things I listed above. You could set it where you wanted and see how long it takes to reach that point. As you start using it you'll get used to how fast it will cool the area.

I still couldn't find any technical info on your unit.

You may save a bit in AUTO but the temps will be more even in the other rooms if you use COOL.

Old 08-02-13, 10:42 PM
K
Oh ok.

Here's the specs of my unit: http://www.carrier.com.ph/brands/pdf...6437adf6cd.pdf . Under the 1HP column. But my room is around 20 sqm. Is that the reason why it couldn't reach 17C easily?

Oh ok. Why so?

Old 08-02-13, 11:22 PM
Group Moderator
Much better...... the specs call for an included 10' pipeset so they were correct in making it longer and charging it more.

That unit is 9,800 BTU which is equivalent to a smallish window air conditioner designed for one room.

Old 08-02-13, 11:28 PM
K
With that, what aircon setting do you recommend I use for practical purposes?

Old 08-03-13, 02:07 PM
Group Moderator
It depends how hot it is and how cool you want to keep it. You may end up using MAX cool or just COOL mode to be effective.

You won't know until you run it a few days. It will take a little experimenting to see what works best.

Old 08-03-13, 05:12 PM
K
Oh ok. Thanks. I think there's more to it than the fan speed for the Auto mode though.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: