Replacement Capacitor blown within 24 hours

Old 08-06-13, 06:08 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Replacement Capacitor blown within 24 hours

My A/C unit outside stopped working and whilst looking for clues as to what might be the problem I figured it was worth changing the two capacitors in the unit. I changed them each separately so I could identify which one was blown and it turns out the larger of the two was the culprit.

However, not 24 hours later, the same issue is back. The motor capacitor seems to have blown again (the typical capacitor burnout smell) and I'm back to square one.

I think the problem might be with the compressor, but I wanted to check here with you guys first as replacing the compressor seems to be pretty much the same as replacing the whole unit.

Is there anything else I can test/try?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-06-13, 06:28 AM
Received 26 Votes on 21 Posts
Did the replacement capacitor have the same capacitance value and voltage rating as the original capacitor? Was it an American made capacitor or a Chinese made unit? It does seem odd that it would fail so quickly, indicating that the compressor may be drawing too much current. You would have to check that with an amp meter.

Old 08-06-13, 06:35 AM
A
Yep, 100% the same like for like capacitors. It's a Roca York machine and the capacitors in it are Ducati. I got the same ones from a dealer in the UK. All very strange... should have an A/C technician coming around in the next couple of days (this is Spain so things take a while...)

Old 08-07-13, 09:50 AM
A
Engineer came around today and he said the control board is gone on the unit inside in the ceiling. If I turn the circuit breaker off and on, the a/c works again, but he said it'll only last a short while and then I'll have to do it again.

I've sent an email to Johnson Controls (seller of Roca York units) and asked for a quote for a new PCB. I doubt it will be cheap and their site doesn't even show as having any in stock.

Are there any other options (other than a whole new unit), like repairing the board or getting a generic one? The part number is 6791046 PCB DBH-GREE V1.0, photo attached.

Name:  6791046.jpg
Views: 395
Size:  23.4 KB

Old 08-07-13, 11:46 AM
Received 26 Votes on 21 Posts
I doubt that you'll find a generic circuit board replacement, as they're usually unique to a particular manufacturer. I'm guessing that the circuit board is in the air handler or furnace. I don't understand how that can cause the compressor to damage the capacitor in the compressor unit, unless the capacitor you're referring to is in the unit in the ceiling (air handler). Apart from the control signal (24VAC going to contactor coil) coming from the inside unit, the indoor and outdoor units are separate (electrically).

Old 08-08-13, 07:30 AM
A
Sorry, I wasn't clear in my original post. Both the compressor and capacitors were fine, my mistake. My changing of the capacitor and the system working again was just as a result of my turning the power off and back on, not the new capacitor. In fact I put the old one back in and it was fine. It just seemed like it was the capacitor, just due to my ignorance.

I've found the replacement part and will get a quote soon, fingers crossed nothing too expensive.

Thanks for your help and feedback.