I did something wrong.... AC fan won't stop running

Old 08-06-13, 03:18 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I did something wrong.... AC fan won't stop running

Hello,
My AC stopped cooling but the fan(outside) was ruining.Found the started cap was bad, it was dual but was used ONLY for the compressor. The Fan is using a single start cap. Apparently, it was modified before I bought the property.Moving things around, I did loosed up a wire (black) which created the problems.Just Removed the Defective Cap Photo 01. Before I continue here is the schematic:Schematicwhich I can not follow due to modifications.
So did find a new start cap for the compressor, and installed it. Turn on the power and the fan was not working;Compresor cap installed.The terminal FAN is not used because it has a separated cap. Found the a Black wire (one side going to the Fan) unplugged.Consider the vicinity I did plug it to the placed showing:Maybe NOTthe right place . After that I did power up and everything was working (Cooling and the Fan), Until it reached the set temp, the cool air inside stopped blowing(as it supposed to ) including the inside unit. I thought I did it until I went outside with a beer on my hand, to see that ONLY the fan was still working. Some one can help please with the wiring?? I'm including more photos:Photo13,Photo14,Photo15.
Thank You

Sponsored Links
Old 08-06-13, 04:07 PM
Received 11 Votes on 8 Posts
While I understand the schematic, I can't really figure out the wiring from the pictures. However, since the condenser fan is running continuously, I would guess that one of the fan wires (probably the black wire that was disconnected) is connected to the wrong side of the contactor. It's probably connected to the "line" side rather than the "load" side. It should be connected to one of the "T" terminals as shown on the schematic. I'm guessing that it's connected to one of the "L" terminals instead.

Old 08-06-13, 04:10 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
The black fan wire goes to the top left side of the contactor with the other black wire going to the compressor. You will be very lucky if you did not ruin your thermostat and transformer inside the house and maybe a control board as well. Lets hope not!

Old 08-06-13, 04:21 PM
The black fan wire goes to the top left side of the contractor with the other black wire going to the compressor.
There is 110V on that side, is that what is need it for the fan as well ???
An other thing, on the top left side (as shown in the photo) the red wire connected with the white (with a nut) 110V goes to the fan as well !!!!! Please take a look........ that means two hot wires X 110V direct to the fan. I may be wrong.... though...

Old 08-06-13, 04:29 PM
it goes there.......... yes it is what it needs..... NO, it is not 110V it is 240V to the other side of the contactor..... which is what your outdoor unit is rated at

Old 08-06-13, 07:34 PM
Well I did try to plug it at the top left BL wire plugged top left of contactor, when I put the circuit break on, fan did not start like before, so I went inside and turned ON the AC, start working both the compressor and the fan for about 6-7 minutes, and then everything shut off and smoke came from contactor. I think was from here:Source of smoke .Even the indoor unit can not be turn ON. Looks like the problem got bigger

Old 08-06-13, 07:47 PM
yep, you blew out the coil on the contactor.... likely from having put the fan motor wire on the contactor coil terminal. As I said, hopefully you did not ruin all the other things I posted about also.

Old 08-06-13, 08:03 PM
So do I have to check for other things, or just replace the contactor, and going from there???

Old 08-06-13, 08:08 PM
Because you put high voltage to the low voltage circuitry it is hard to say what all may be fried...start with the contactor and see what happens.

Old 08-06-13, 08:11 PM
If so can you suggest an equivalent contactor with this:Old Contactor

Old 08-06-13, 08:16 PM
A standard 24v coil contactor... single pole will be just fine.

Old 08-06-13, 08:18 PM
Thanks for quick respond...

Old 08-08-13, 10:17 AM
hvactechfw

Taking an other look, after reading some wiring diagrams while waiting for the contactor to arrive, that BL loose wire can go on both black ends of incoming power (down on contactor) and still should be OK, right???

Old 08-08-13, 10:24 AM
Yes... because it is a single pole contactor and that pole is hot all the time.

Old 08-10-13, 09:43 AM
hvac....
Still waiting for the part, more time to learn . Well, fearing what you was expecting to happen putting high V on low V circuit.... , I did realize that the air handler was not working. It is a separate circuit and should work, right? I did remove the thermostat and measured between R and W, and there was no 24V there. So went up to the attic and open up the a/h to find out that at the transformer there is 240V going in but NO volt coming out . Transformer 01,Transformer 02.Got to wait untill Monday for the local store to open. I did create a big mess, but for the sake of truth, I'm learning things that didn't know. I'm hopping that YOUR prediction is ending with the transformer... . Shall see...

Old 08-10-13, 09:54 AM
Group Moderator
Received 419 Votes on 392 Posts
If you have a control board inside the air handler..... examine that too. Power entire system down when investigating.

Good luck.

Old 08-10-13, 10:14 AM
The only thing I did examine was a fuse (yes there is a control board Transformer 02 link on my previous post) , and the fuse was OK.
What else you suggest to??
You mean prior or after installing the new trans???

Thanks

Old 08-10-13, 10:25 AM
Group Moderator
Received 419 Votes on 392 Posts
Look for anything visually burned on the control board.

Old 08-12-13, 02:39 PM
Did install the new transformer; so far so good, the air handler and the thermostat are working fine, and got 24V in outside unit as well.....

Old 08-13-13, 04:43 PM
Contactor installed, and everything is working fine.
I want to thank members for the help and advice.This thing (forum) works;lets keep it up.