A/C throwing error on Honeywell IAQ Thermostat, but otherwise working

Old 08-06-13, 03:56 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
A/C throwing error on Honeywell IAQ Thermostat, but otherwise working

I recently had a new outside A/C unit installed. Three weeks later, there was a freon leak and the lines and evaporator coils were all frozen. I let it all thaw and had the tech who installed it come back and fix the leak. It seems to be working fine (cooling fine, etc.)

The problem is that when all this happened the Honeywell VisionPRO IAQ thermostat we have started flashing an Error 40 (compressor not running) when it was trying to cool. Now that the leak has been fixed, the compressor seems to be working fine. It cools well -- I'm getting 57 degrees out of the vents -- and the compressor seems to be running fine, but I still am getting this error.

The tech who installed the unit and then fixed the leak says it's a coincidence and a bad humidifier unit. He's refusing to fix it or troubleshoot it further. Seems ridiculous that this would be a coincidence but I also have no idea if the problem is the thermostat or there is really something wrong with the compressor unit and it's sending some sort of error to the Honeywell controller.

Any ideas what could be causing the error? Does this sound like something a service tech should be able to troubleshoot without installing a whole new unit?

Many thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-06-13, 04:24 PM
Received 26 Votes on 21 Posts
I don't know anything about that Honeywell thermostat. However, here's what I would suggest you try. Remove the thermostat, assuming it plugs into a mounting base, and remove the batteries (if it takes batteries). Leave the thermostat unplugged for ~5 minutes and then plug it back into the mounting base. This should reset the thermostat and clear any previous errors. If it still shows the error, then you'll likely need to get the tech back to look at it.

Old 08-06-13, 05:11 PM
T
Thanks for the quick reply. I did try removing the unit for 20 minutes (I should have mentioned that, sorry) and I also went into the installer mode and reset the error and ran the tests. I'm still getting the error, but only when the compressor goes on. The installer is being, how shall I say less than helpful and is refusing to come out unless I pay him a service call fee.

Old 08-06-13, 06:39 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
It may be a faulty thermostat, or you may have to do a full reset of the stat and reprogram it. FYI, that stat has a 5 year warranty.

Old 08-06-13, 07:06 PM
T
Thanks for the reply. I did what you suggested. I wrote down all the current settings, which were pretty close to the factory defaults, and reset the entire unit. Unfortunately, that didn't work. I'm still getting the error.

It looks like it's a faulty thermostat. I guess my only question at this point is whether it's possible that there is something wrong with the compressor that the thermostat is detecting but that does not otherwise affect it's cooling. In other words, is it possible, for example, that the thermostat is receiving a faulty signal from the compressor? If so, is there anyway to test for that?

Thanks again!

Old 08-06-13, 07:11 PM
No... that is not possible... the thermostat sends the signal to turn on the outdoor unit. It does not receive any input back from it. It based the error on the fact that it was calling for cool I g but the temp was rising.

Old 08-06-13, 07:13 PM
Unfortunately, in order to receive a warranty replacement thermostat it must be done through a contractor because that thermostat is a professional only thermostat.

Old 08-06-13, 07:18 PM
T
Thanks very much. I really appreciate the help. Very strange error since the temperature is clearly going down.

I'll call in a service tech. Unfortunately, Honeywell's warranty does not cover labor.

Old 08-06-13, 07:19 PM
No... that should be on your installing contractor if it was just installed.

Old 08-06-13, 07:24 PM
T
The thermostat is 3 years old. The ac unit was just installed, had a freon leak three weeks after the install, and when the leak happened the thermostat started throwing this error. The tech who did the ac install is washing his hands of the thermostat problem, saying it's just a coincidence(!) The company that did the thermostat install already told me they will charge me labor to replace the thermostat even though the unit is under warranty.

Old 08-06-13, 07:26 PM
At 3 years old, it makes sense for them to charge labor to replace it.... be thankful you are not paying for that thermostat itself! Make sure they replace both the stat and EIM.

Old 08-06-13, 07:27 PM
T
Good to know that's reasonable practice to charge labor for the replacement thermostat. Makes sense. Thanks.