Leak detector question

Old 08-07-13, 12:11 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Leak detector question

Hello,

I am new the the forum and look forward to helping when I can and also getting some help when you can.

I have a very slow R22 freon leak in my AC system. A local service tech checked for a leak with his tester but was unable to find it. He tested around the condenser unite and in the attic but no luck. He did not check under the house. Based on what he did not find but is sure I have a leak he suggested putting some leak stop additive into the system and adding freon to bing it up to what is required. I want to purchase a freon leak detector so I can go under the house to see if I can find a leak. Can anyone please recommend an inexpensive leak detector that you know works for a small leak. Maybe around a leakage rate of .02 ozs per year or somening close.

Thanks
George

Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-13, 02:19 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
DO NOT let the tech install the sealant. It is an absolute last effort and can ruin your system and the gauges of any tech who puts them on your system after sealer has been added. I don't know of any inexpensive leak detectors that work worth a darn... You can spray soap bubbles on all the refrigerant lines and coils and try to find a leak that way.

What part of your system is under the house if the tech went into the attic? Most linesets run in the walls up to the attic if that is where the air handler is.