AC runs constantly but house is 81degrees

Old 08-09-13, 05:28 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
AC runs constantly but house is 81degrees

Hello All,

I am living in a 700sf(approx) quad plex. For the last 5 weeks our AC has been running 24/7 yet the temp inside stays at 81-83, except from 2am to 8am.
we have had two techs(from same company) out here and they say the unit is operating fine.I have lived in Fl for almost 40years and this is the first time ive had a house that wouldnt get below 80.our power bill went from $48avg to $200.

2ton unit 10+years old
vents register 59 degrees
21degree difference from return air
inside coils were cleaned but NOT removed and cleaned.fan was removed and cleaned
last tenent said her bill from this month 1yr ago was $120 and temp inside was 73-75
no massive air leaks at windows or doors
flat roof is medium hot to touch in full sun(I used to do roofing) so not an issue
AHU is in closet and door has 16"vent yet inside is a 20x20 filter

not sure what to do here as this is a rental.any other questions you have dont hesitate. I have a 3mo old and need to get this fixed ASAP.

Thank you, Mark

Sponsored Links
Old 08-09-13, 07:08 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
what is the return air temp at the air handler? What is the supply air temp? Time for a different contractor?

Old 08-10-13, 11:32 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I'm jealous. Not for your situation, but for the 21 degree return air/supply air split. I still don't get that, but I can get the temp lower than 81.

Is there a massive air leak anywhere in the supply ducts? Sounds like all the air is not making it back into the space or it is not moving as much air as it should, or did.