Goodman A/C doesn't turn on

Old 08-10-13, 05:19 AM
I
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Goodman A/C doesn't turn on

Hi, I recently bought a new house and my second week in one of my two Goodman gsx130241 units does not start. I scoured Google and checked to see if there are any quick checks and fixes before I call for service.

When I set the thermostat on nothing happens. I went outside to check if there is a clicking noise and I didn't hear anything. I compared it to the functional unit and I heard everything kick off instantaneously. I then checked to see if it was the thermostat by replacing batteries and also manually combining the red and green wires then flipping the breaker on and nothing happened.

What's my next move here?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-13, 06:53 AM
Received 26 Votes on 21 Posts
So, neither the compressor or the air handler (blower) are turning on? Are you sure that the two units are getting power? If you're sure they have power, I would start by checking to see if you have any 24VAC coming out of the transformer that connects to the thermostat. It's normally near the air handler unit. Many systems also have a low amperage fuse (3-5 amp) somewhere in the 24VAC line (often inside the air handler unit) to protect the transformer should something short out the circuit.

Old 08-10-13, 01:15 PM
I
The air blower is working when I turn the fan to on. Just to clarify, the unit responsible for cooling my 1st floor is working as expected but the unit responsible for the 2nd is not. I checked the disconnect and made sure it was snug (it was) and I checked and retested the moisture check on the blower. Still no go. I don't have a meter to check the voltage.

Old 08-10-13, 01:28 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,026 Votes on 952 Posts
If the blower works on the inside unit but nothing happens outside then the unit may have a problem with the contactor that turns the unit on..... or the system could be low on freon and that would keep it from coming on.

Without any type of test meter you may not be able to diagnose the problem yourself.

Old 08-10-13, 06:40 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Jumper R to Y at the thermostat.... this will simulate a call for the outdoor unit to turn on. If it does not turn on after trying this then you will need to call for service .

Last edited by hvactechfw; 08-12-13 at 03:50 AM.
Old 08-12-13, 03:09 AM
W
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Also, check to make sure the drain pan isn't full of water.

If you're condensate line is clogged, the float switch may be locking out condenser.

Old 08-12-13, 03:51 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Yes, a drain switch could be wired in so that the outdoor unit won't run and produce more condensation if there is a backup.

Old 08-13-13, 10:48 AM
I
I called a technician and he found out there was a short in the compressor. At least it didn't cost me an arm and a leg!

Old 08-13-13, 11:50 AM
T
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
A short in the compressor would mean a replacement is needed. That isn't a cheap repair.
So what "short" did the tech fix? You can't "fix" a shorted out compressor.

Old 08-14-13, 11:03 AM
R
A shorted compressor requires replacement, no cheap way around that.

Old 08-22-13, 09:59 AM
R
hi have goodman heat pump someone changed low to high on blower motor changed back , looking at wiring diagram on panel , showed missing wire to block . should this wire be hookede back up ?wiring is 2brown capacitor ,1 red toBTRD, blk unused blk off , ppurple not connected it has been hookede up this way for 8yrs, any advice

Old 08-22-13, 11:28 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,026 Votes on 952 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Hard to read your post.
It sounds like someone changed the motor speed and you want to change it back ?

If it's been working ok for 8 years why change it ?