Cleaning spine fin coils

Old 08-11-13, 07:29 AM
I
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cleaning spine fin coils

I am not an AC guy, but I try to do it myself if possible. I've got a Trane outdoor unit, and the spine fin coils aren't too dirty, but there are some areas that have a fiberous material (maybe cottonwood). I've taken the fan off several times and I've used a garden hose to spray from the inside out, and I just use my thumb on the end of the hose to make a spray pattern. I've made progress at cleaning the fins, but there are some areas that just aren't getting clean. I'm being fairly conservative with the water stream to prevent any fin damage. Is there anything else I can do? I can see cottonwood seeds collecting on the louvered protective sides so I know I'm making progress. I've got an AC/Heat guy coming out in the fall to work on our heat pump, and I'm almost to the point of letting him clean it for me. Any tips are appreciated. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-11-13, 03:08 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
don't be too conservative.... those fins can take a lot of abuse and still be fine. It is also good to spray directly down the outside of the coil. If a tech is coming anyway, then let him do it as he should remove the sides of the cabinet for good access if the coil is plugged up enough to warrant that in-depth of a cleaning.

Old 08-12-13, 07:40 PM
I
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks! I'll give it another wash down.