New home, new AC, runs all day and still doesn't keep up

Old 08-11-13, 03:35 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
New home, new AC, runs all day and still doesn't keep up

So the title pretty much says it. I need a trustworthy AC tech in the new braunfels/schertz Texas area. I have had 2 techs come out. One said that the AC was not big enough for my home. It is a 2.5 ton goodman and I live in a 1600sq.ft one story home. The other tech said it shouldn't be to small for the home, but did not know why it is 78 in my house everyday, when the AC is set to 75. At night (after 10ish) it will finally catch up. Nothing is frozen. Everything runs ALL DAY!! I do not know or have the tools to check what the air temp is coming from the registers. Also it is not low on freon and never has been.

Basically if you know someone at a good price who will not beat around the bush..please point me in their direction.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-11-13, 03:47 PM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Going to be a bunch of guesses without being on site.
Anyone done a blower door test to check for air leaks?
How well is this house insulated?
Did they air seal the attic before insulating?
Did they do a manual J before install it.
Manual J HVAC Load Calculations
Builders just love to save money anyway they can, installing to small a unit is just one of there many tricks so it would not surprise me.

Old 08-11-13, 04:08 PM
M
Not sure if they did a manual J before hand. Not sure what that is. They did check for leaks and none were found. I have double pane windows and 11 1/2 inches of blown in insulation. No shade trees at all unfortunately.

Old 08-11-13, 04:29 PM
Super Moderator
Received 60 Votes on 52 Posts
How hot has it been on these days when running constantly???

How big is the duct work and how many returns? Possibly they undersized...

It may be sized right for your design temp and possibly its been hotter out there in the long horn......

The HVAC techs should be around shortly to help you out....

Old 08-11-13, 04:29 PM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Checked for leaks where? In the Freon lines or air leaks inside the house?

Last edited by joecaption1; 08-11-13 at 05:31 PM.
Old 08-11-13, 04:53 PM
What large city in TX do U live nearest to?

What size are the ducts & how many runs to supply air registers are there?

What size is the return air filter or filters; hope U are not using 1" deep pleated filters; they are too restrictive to airflow!

Is the airflow from the ducts good or, marginal?

What sizes are the return air ducts & grille(s)?

All U need is a thermometer & a humidity gage to ballpark check performance.

Check the return-air & supply-air temps, record the humidity.

Check the temp coming out of the outdoor condenser & record the outdoor temp.

If U do those simple things it will probably give us some clues.

What SEER Rating do you think the condenser is; how old is it?

Try to do a Free Online load-calc

Read all the instructions; when U think it's right Print the final results; then tell us what U got.

Old 08-11-13, 06:49 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
It is possible your return is pulling in air from an unconditioned space.... It is time for a new contractor.... ask your friends and neighbors for references.

Old 08-11-13, 08:20 PM
M
Thanks everyone for the quick responses. HVAC RETIRED I will try and get some/all of that done tomorrow. I live near San Antonio. Yes it has been extremely hot lately. 2 weeks 100+ degrees everyday, but before the major heat waves started it still had a problem. When we would get a fluke day in the low 90's when all other days were 70's and low 80's I would still have the problem. In spring when the temp is in the 70's during the day and low 60's at night it would be miserably humid in my house. Almost as if the AC was not pulling any moisture out of the air.

The air conditioner and house are just barely 6 years old. The lived in on and off (mostly off) for 2 of those years. They checked for freon leaks, not air leaks in the house.

Old 08-12-13, 04:02 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
How long have you lived in the home? Are the problems new this year or have they been present in years past also? High humidity can indicate a poorly charged system or an air flow issue among a few other things. I still recommend a different contractor.

Old 08-12-13, 07:11 AM
M
This is my second year in the home and I did have this problem last year as well. Both techs said the system is fully charged. I have a new contractor coming out Wed. I only scheduled a "cleaning and inspection" so that I can see what diagnosis he comes up with. I scheduled to for the hottest part of the day so he can see the AC trying to keep up and failing.

Old 08-12-13, 11:15 AM
Received 41 Votes on 35 Posts
Measurements need to be taken to see how much heat the system is removing. Off the batt, any tech who doesn't have the tools or knowledge to directly measure airflow or static pressure isn't worth calling.

A system can have a good temperature difference between the supply and return and good pressures yet still not be running anywhere rated capacity if the airflow is off.

Low airflow or a very high return air temp can throw off pressures and make an improperly charged system seem okay.

One thing that I'm sure of is that either there's something wrong with the system or the house - 2.5 ton is a lot for 1600 sq ft.

Old 08-12-13, 11:52 AM
You stated "new home, new a/c" in your description. Is this home brand new? If so, I would suggest you contact the home builder and request warranty work to have the hvac contractor come out and evaluate what the issue is. I live in San Antonio. It has been record heat for the past week reaching 104 degrees with extremely high humidity and my two units have been working more than normal. When I moved into my new home a few years back it took a couple of visits from the hvac contractor to "balance" the system. I have two 3-ton heat pumps in a two-story house with an open loft. It is tricky to balance the return air and supply air when you have an open area between the floors. They got it so the system works really well. Offhand, I would say that you probably need additional insulation in your attic. Homebuilders in this area tend to install only the minimum "R" value insulation to pass inspection. Here in San Antonio, the electric utility company (owned by the city) has a great rebate program for adding insulation to your home.

Old 08-12-13, 03:11 PM
M
The home is 5 yrs old. I was not the first owner and the only warranty I got was AHS and they are a JOKE!