Capacitor replaced, Freon good, struggling to cool now

Old 08-11-13, 06:37 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Capacitor replaced, Freon good, struggling to cool now

My capacitor went bad, sometime in the last 48hrs. I noticed yesterday the a/c was running all day and the house was not cooling down, presumably because the fan stop spinning and outside coils weren't being cooled. When I checked and noticed the fan on the outside unit was not spinning I had the capacitor replaced as it bulged on top. Freon levels were also checekd and are good, pipe is cold and sweating. Prior to this incident the system could easily cool the house to 70(probably lower if asked) no matter how hot it was outside. Now it struggles to maintain 77-78 degrees during the day, it will go lower once the sun sets, but again that was never an issue prior and the weather isn't any hotter than normal summer time in FL. I'm thinking one of two things.
1. I have leaky duct in the attic space and I'm suddenly losing alot of cold air before it can get to the living space.
2. Something was damaged while the unit ran all day, unknown when the capacitor went out shutting the fan down on the outside unit.

Am I missing another possibility?

Also the outside coils are clean, and air filter is fresh.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-11-13, 06:55 PM
Group Moderator
Received 372 Votes on 349 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

You replaced the capacitor that runs the condensor fan but the actual motor could be bad. The condensor fan is needed to remove the heat from the outside coils as well as keep the compressor cool. If it slows down or stops..... the compressor will shut down on overheat.

While unit is operating you'll need to observe the fan for proper operation.

Old 08-11-13, 07:02 PM
Fan is operating normally as far I as i can tell, spinning at a good clip and pulling out a ton of hot air, which is what should be happening. It's been going for approximately 8hrs straight now, there was a 1 hr break while I waited for a tech to come back, he checked the freon levels, and inside temps at the unit and everything was in working order. he did put a 1lb of freon in just to be sure, but he said it was not low.

Old 08-11-13, 07:17 PM
Group Moderator
Received 372 Votes on 349 Posts
he did put a 1lb of freon in just to be sure, but he said it was not low.
Ok....... was that so he could at least charge you for something ?

We don't discuss charge levels and pressures on this site but I've never heard of adding freon for the heck of it.

So you are saying the outside fan is running continuously. Is the compressor cycling ?

Old 08-11-13, 07:36 PM
Overcharging a system can be detrimental. I would call and ask the company why refrigerant was added when it was not needed. "Just to be sure" sounds like the tech did not know what he was doing!

Old 08-11-13, 07:57 PM
He did not charge me when he came back, only for the original visit and capacitor change. He put a 1lb or less in, so I doubt that would cause any issue, and certianly didn't cause the issue as it existed prior to that. Yes the outside fan is running continously as the whole system is running continuously. I'm assuming the compressor is working fine as the line is cold, sweating, and I am getting cool air, just not to the level as I was prior to the capacitor going out. Also the temp in the exchange unit was 18-20 degrees below what it was pulling in, which seemed to be normal according to the tech.

Old 08-11-13, 08:06 PM
Still, overcharging a system with refrigerant can be detrimental and actually reduce efficiency. What is the return air temperature at the indoor unit?

Old 08-11-13, 08:40 PM
It was 78-79 degrees at the time.

Old 08-14-13, 12:19 PM
Wondering if maybe the compressor got damaged when the fan shut down. How long was it running like that for. Amperage readings along with outdoor temperature would be a good start. Condenser coil could be dirty but if it was working fine before the cap change it shouldn't make that much of a difference.