Help: Air Conditioner starts and stops

Old 08-13-13, 02:56 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Help: Air Conditioner starts and stops

Air conditioner will not keep running more than 2 or 3 minutes, then stops. During daytime, it just starts and stops immediately. But when it is midnight or it is turned off for a while, the AC can keep running a few minutes, then stops. The fan inside runs normally. It will not retain temperature adjusted. A sign of "replace bat" flashes even all the batteries are new.

There is a button on contactor, under the cover on the outside unit. If I push and hold the button, fan(compressor) runs. However, when I release it, everything stops immediately. The contactor was made by ESSEX Controls. It says "Type 139-211010-BA" but cannot be found anywhere online.

Last week, the switch of the AC was burned and has been replaced with a new one. A new Supco Hard Start Capacitor SPP6 was replaced today but nothing has been changed. The AC is about 24-year old.

Please help.

Thanks in advance

Chun

Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-13, 05:04 AM
Received 26 Votes on 21 Posts
I would be suspicious of the thermostat if it's showing "Replace Batteries" even with new batteries installed. If you want to rule out the thermostat, temporarily jumper between thermostat terminals RC and Y. This should enable the compressor (outdoor unit), however it will not turn on the air handler (blower), so don't run it for more than a few minutes this way or you'll freeze up the evaporator coil. If you want to force the blower to come on, jumper between RC and G. If the system works normally with RC jumpered to Y and G, then it would appear that your thermostat is defective.

Old 08-13-13, 09:11 PM
S
Thank you, Bob, for your advice.

I did what you said and the system works normally. So it should be a problem with thermostat. I have bought two Honeywell RTHL2310B Programmable Thermostats (one for upstairs) and will install them tomorrow.

Thank you again

Old 08-14-13, 01:07 PM
S
The AC works fine now after installing a new Thermostat.

Thank you, Bob!

Old 08-14-13, 01:24 PM
Received 26 Votes on 21 Posts
Thanks for letting us know that you got the problem solved, and glad I was able to assist.