2007 American Standard Allegiance 13 clicking

Old 08-13-13, 03:24 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
2007 American Standard Allegiance 13 clicking

Hello,
I have a 2007 American Standard Allegiance 13. When I turn on the A/C from the thermostat the big fan unit turns on and runs well, but after a while (about 5 minutes) the fan starts clicking (loud clicking sound heard on outside of unit near where wires enter) on and off more and more frequently to the point that I can see the blade significantly slow down. I tested the two cylindrical fuses with a multimeter and they both work.

While the unit was on and clicking I pulled the fuses, the fan turned off, but the unit continued clicking.

Anything will help and be appreciated. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-13, 04:04 PM
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Check the 24 volt signal to the contactor. Also check the contactor itself, the coil might be failing or the contacts dirty. The contactor is the electric switch that turns the condenser on. It is located right where the electrical wires enter the unit. If you take a picture and post it on here, we can point you to the area or wires to check. Do you have a volt meter and know how to use it?

Old 08-13-13, 04:16 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The black box with the blue and yellow wires attached is the thing that is clicking. It appears to have an electromagnet behind it.

I do have a multimeter, but I don't know what the things in the picture are called.

Attached Images  
Old 08-13-13, 05:25 PM
Received 11 Votes on 8 Posts
The clicking is coming from the contactor. As Tom mentioned, the contactor is a relay that powers the compressor unit. The Yellow & Blue wires coming into the side terminals (top/bottom in your picture) are the low voltage (24VAC) wires coming from the thermostat. When the thermostat calls for cooling, it sends 24VAC to the contactor coil (electromagnet) which closes the contacts, thus sending 240VAC to the compressor and condenser fan.

With the thermostat calling for cooling, check to see if you have ~24VAC between the yellow & blue wires. If you do, then the contactor is likely defective. It is easily replaced. Just be sure to turn off the power before replacing it.

The 240VAC comes in on one side (I believe it's the right side terminals in your picture). The output side goes to the compressor & fan and are the terminals on the left side of the contactor as shown in your picture.