Window Air Conditioner Suddenly Stops

Old 08-14-13, 08:05 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Window Air Conditioner Suddenly Stops

Hi,
There was some water leaking on one side of the air conditioner on the front right side, inside the room. Not so badly that there was a puddle on the carpet, but it was wet where the filter is and above that where the dial is which sets the direction of the air flow on that side. This is a Fridgidaire.

We drilled a hole on the right bottom side, and so the leaking seems to have stopped. All of that may have nothing to do with it, that was a few days ago.

But today, after running for a long time, it suddenly stopped. Later, I turned it on, and after perhaps a half an hour it stopped again.

I'm trying it again as we speak.

The only other change is that I have begun setting it to run first on fan only, and then on 'cold'. I also put it onto fan before I turn it off.

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 08-14-13, 08:24 PM
Group Moderator
Received 641 Votes on 593 Posts
The drain pan is probably either dirty or clogged. Since this is a window unit, it should be pretty easy to take it out of the window, so I'd recommend that 2 of you remove the unit, get it outside where you can hose the coil and pan out, and then reinstall it and see how it works when it's nice and clean. If you can find the air filter, remove it and clean it with some soapy water before rinsing and reinstalling it.

A lot of the time it's just dust and debris, insects, etc. that will make the pan dirty and cause the water to pool and back up instead of draining to the outside like it normally would.

You should also check to ensure the unit slants toward the outside slightly, since the water needs to drain to the outside... not the inside! But that's kind of a no-brainer. LOL

...welcome to the forums!