Help on buying new HVAC

Old 08-15-13, 08:14 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Help on buying new HVAC

I'll clarify up front I know this forum is not for pricing, purchasing, etc new equipment so not looking for that And I know alot goes into buying a new system, geography, square footage, energy sources, and so on.

Rather just looking for a sanity check...

I have a large (4,500sf) home that's currently climate controlled by two HVAC systems. Each system has a large (i think 2 ton) Central A/C unit and a natural gas forced air heating element. One of the A/C units is starting to go (coolant leak) so I'm looking at purchasing a new one.

The HVAC company I'm currently working with has quoted me a price range from $12,000 - $18,000 for one single new HVAC system. Their base system is a "93% single stage heating system and one standard Lennox air conditioning system" for $12,000 installed. The range of the quotes had to do with the efficiency of the unit.

Now...on the other hand, my next door neighbor just put in a brand new A/C unit (not sure about heating) a few weeks ago for about $4,000. I know that company they used b/c they used to service my system.

My plan is to get multiple quotes of course but looking for any advice as I do so. Ballpark, what should a new A/C unit (two tons) roughly cost these days?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-16-13, 03:44 PM
H
Can you give other details about the system to be replaced. Such as the approx. distance between furnace and outside condenser unit. Access to furnace (horizontal in a 30" crawl space or in an attic that only has access through a ceiling cut out). Is your current system a R22 and new one R410? Make sure whatever quotes you get the systems that are similar (such as SEER rating of Condenser)

Old 08-19-13, 09:16 AM
B
Hi, sure. The system is about 11 yrs old, installed when the house was built. Its two HVAC units both in the unfinished area of my basement with easy access. They're both about 15-20 feet horizontally from the condensers outside of the side of the house. I dont know the current system's ratings, but does that matter? I'd like to look at getting more efficient units than I have today.

Does that help?