I have to turn thermostat off and back on to get AC to turn on

Old 08-15-13, 11:43 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I have to turn thermostat off and back on to get AC to turn on

Hi,
I have two heat pumps (upstairs and downstairs). They both have different air handlers and thermostats. these systems are identical as far as I can tell.

The problem is that air handler for both of these units, while in AC mode, will kick off/stop blowing but the heat pumps outside will continue to run. To start it back up, I have to switch the thermostat to "off' and wait about 5 minutes and then flip it back "on". The unit will then run again until it reaches the temperature on the thermostat and then do the same thing.

The one downstairs does it very frequently but the one upstairs not as much. Any ideas what is going on here? hate to pay an hvac guy $150 bucks to pull in my driveway and fix it in 5 minutes.

thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-15-13, 01:16 PM
Did this issue just start recently or has it been going on for awhile? It seems odd that both systems are acting the same. Usually when an outside unit continues to run it is either a contactor that gets "stucK" or 24VAC continues to be applied to the contactor. Can you post the name and models of the heat pumps. There are some troubleshooting steps that you can do to hopefully find the issue(s).

Old 08-17-13, 05:04 AM
M
hi ,
they are both goodman units.

cpke24-1AB
cple24-1B

Old 08-17-13, 07:35 AM
Since it is intermittent it sounds like it could be a thermostat issue. Is your thermostat battery operated or is it furnished 24V by a common wire from the air handler? What is the make and model of the thermostat? If they are battery operated thermostats I would suggest you put fresh batteries in them. Sometimes weak batteries can cause issues with the thermostat which affects proper operation of the system. Do you have a voltmeter and are you comfortable working around live voltage?

Old 08-17-13, 08:20 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 17 Votes on 14 Posts
Does the indoor unit fail to start when it should, or does the outdoor unit continue to run when it should be off?

If it is an indoor unit problem, post the model number of the indoor units.

This fan control can give intermittent problems and can be found in some Goodman air handlers...