Amana compressor cycles on/off every few seconds

Old 08-18-13, 11:16 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Amana compressor cycles on/off every few seconds

New unit installed November 2010. On Aug. 15 compressor started cycling on/off every 5-10 seconds. Turned off A/C and called tech (who wasn't the installer). He replaced 7# of puron. Today started doing it again. Ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-18-13, 11:18 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,029 Votes on 955 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Don't tell me.....he just added that much freon and never checked for a leak

Obviously you have quite a leak there that needs to be found.

Old 08-18-13, 11:38 AM
J
Thanks for the quick reply. Could it be anything else? Would this be covered under warranty?

Old 08-18-13, 12:03 PM
Group Moderator
There is a low pressure switch that disconnects the compressor to keep it from being damaged.

There is no manufacturers warranty on a freon leak. Actually, let me re-phrase that, there would be a warranty on a leaking part, for example, like the evaporator coil that is inside the air handler. There would be no warranty on a defectively soldered or connected freon line.

Even with a defective part..... there is only limited labor warranty. Usually the company pays for the part and the homeowner picks up labor and installation parts. (like freon)

Check your installation package for warranty information.
Your best course of action may be to call the original installing company.

Old 08-18-13, 12:37 PM
J
Thanks for the help. Unfortunately, the original installing company won't respond to our calls.

Old 08-22-13, 09:01 AM
J
OK - just trying to educate myself here about my a/c problem. So the tech came back on Mon, disconnected the compressor from the line and coil to test for a leak. Said it would take only 2 days to show since it was such a big leak (seems like a long time to me). He's coming back this morning. So we understand from a friend that he could have used some sort of device to detect the leak w/in an hour or so. Since we've already paid this guy $425, we thought we'd hang w him to see what he says. But it's been HOT here for 3 days w/out ac. Does this guy know what he's doing? Your comments are appreciated.

Also on Monday he said he was removing the puron from the system to save it, but when my husband talked to him he said he didn't. What's to keep the rest of the puron in the system from leaking out while all this testing is going on? How many pounds of puron does a 5 ton system hold?

Old 08-22-13, 09:33 AM
That tech sounds like a scam artist. He is doing things backwards. When you have a leak that requires 7 lbs. of refrigerant to be added you need to find that leak before replacing the refrigerant. Yes, most legitimate licensed techs carry and know how to use an electronic leak detector, dye and an ultraviolet light, soap bubbles, etc. It doesn't take 2 days to find a leak. When the system was supposedly down 7 lbs. he should have used one of many available leak detection methods to try and locate the leak. Or he could have recovered any refrigerant left in the system and then pressurized the system with nitrogen. I can just about guarantee that any leak that allows 7 lbs. of refrigerant to leak out so quickly will be able to be heard when the nitrogen escapes. After the leak was found then it should have been repaired (some are not able to be repaired depending on the location of the leak). After the repair, the system would need to be re-tested to see if the leak was repaired. Once verified the leak repair was good to go, then the system needs to be re-charged to specs by weighing the refrigerant. Then the system needs to be started, gauges put on and properly evaluated by the tech to see that it is operating according to specs.

As far as the installing company not answering your calls, I would drive to the physical location of the business and ask to speak to the company owner. If you give him a chance to do you right and he refuses then I would contact the manufacturer of your system and file a complaint. That should get some action started to assist you.

Old 08-22-13, 10:15 AM
J
Thanks so much for the information. At this point, should we just find someone else?

Old 08-22-13, 10:32 AM
As I said in my last post, I would contact the owner of the company that installed your system. I would drive to his business in person, explain the situation to him and give him a chance to do the right thing. Let him know that if he doesn't act that you are going to contact Amana and lodge a complaint. If he refuses to talk to you, I would send him a certified letter explaining the situation, what remedy you expect and what actions you will take should he fail to perform. As far as eating the $425.00, at this point I would wait and see what this "tech" you hired finds as far as a leak. I definitely would not pay him one more penny. Under EPA rules, it is not required to repair the leak, but he (common sense says and the expense involved) should have repaired the leak before replacing 7 lbs. of refrigerant. Does he work for a legitimate, licensed hvac company? If so, I would contact the owner of that company as well and ask him why you have were charged so much and why the refrigerant was added without locating the leak before the refrigerant was replaced. The tech should have explained to you that if he added the 7 lbs. of refrigerant it would more than likely leak out right away. I would take a photo of the vehicle he is in with the license plate number, I would ask to see his hvac license and a copy of his liability insurance. If he tells you that you need to call the owner tell him "good, get him on the phone".

Last edited by firedawgsatx; 08-22-13 at 11:11 AM.
Old 08-22-13, 10:54 AM
J
So appreciate your reply.

Old 08-22-13, 07:50 PM
Group Moderator
firedawgsatx covered it pretty well. Unfortunately the diplomatic way may take time. The certified letter is the proper way to go but it could drag on for weeks.

Maybe you can guide the guy you have now. Tell him to recover what's left of the freon before it's all gone. The system needs to be charged with nitrogen and the leak should be fairly easy to locate. If not audible...... soap and bubbles will find it.

A fair and equitable way for that guy to handle this would be to fix the leak. Evacuate and recharge the system. You should be charged for the freon minus the 7#'s he previously put in.

With the age of the system I'd doubt it's the evaporator (inside) coil. My guess would be one of the connections at the inside unit or at the compressor.

Old 08-23-13, 02:36 PM
J
It seems to be the coil. Compressor checked out OK. The test on the line and coil registered zero after 3 days. He went into the attic to set up a separate test on the line and the coil and actually heard the leak from inside the coil. Don't know why he didn't do that in the beginning. Coil is under warranty, but quoted $1500 to replace it. At this point, I'm not even trusting this guy because he didn't check for a leak before he topped it with puron originally. BTW it's an Aspen coil. Dependable?

Old 08-23-13, 06:07 PM
Group Moderator
I don't know....I'm not actually in the business but 1500.00 for labor and expendables (including freon) sounds high. Did he give you a breakout or a lump sum price.

How does the previous payment/charge of 425.00 fit in the picture ?