Cooling issue

Old 08-19-13, 08:01 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cooling issue

I have always had one room in my house warmer than any other. I got an air conditioning repair person to come out and evaluate the problem. He said I needed a new unit with a 10K price tag. Being that the existing unit was well over 13 years old, I told him to go for it. Long story made short: the warm room is still warm if not warmer. Cool air is flowing from the vent so the AC is trying to do its job. I went in the attic and reinsulated over this room. I also resealed the window and hung a light blocking shade. Even after all of that, the room is still warm (80 degrees overnight with the thermostat set at 73). I can't think of any other reason why the one particular room in my house will not cool. The window in the room is not incredibly large either.

Anybody here have any ideas or suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-19-13, 08:50 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 587 Votes on 541 Posts
Do you keep the door to that room closed? If so the air in the room may not have good access to the air return and is restricting the flow.

Did the HVAC person check the air flow you are getting to that room? Maybe the duct is crushed or undersized or it is located further from the trunk line and is receiving less airflow than other rooms.

Old 08-19-13, 09:08 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
My first thought would be to try to close some of the vents in other rooms to see if that increases the airflow into this room and thus lowers the temperature in there - maybe you need another vent in the room.

Is there a return in the room?

Old 08-19-13, 09:14 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
No return in the room. Door stays closed only at night. I didn't see any issues with the ducts when I was up there doing the insulation.

Old 08-19-13, 10:04 AM
T
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Door closed, no return = no or little air flow.

Sounds more like you have a system balance issue going on. Try to send more air into that room and leave the door cracked open so air can flow in and out.

Old 08-19-13, 10:14 AM
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
Its a duct issue duct to that room is not sized correctly