Carrier 9200 Weathermaker blower issue

Old 08-19-13, 05:32 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Carrier 9200 Weathermaker blower issue

Recently the blower (5-wire 5KCP39PGS171S) on my unit stopped turning and was just humming loudly and staying hot. I purchased a 4-wire (no common) universal replacement with a replacement capacitor. I got everything back in and when I tried to turn on the blower the relay activated but no life from the blower. (I even redid the connections to make sure there was good contact). I figured then that I was going to have to buy a new circuit board.
I hooked up the power to the old motor and the shaft started spinning. So, I put that motor back in but kept the new capacitor. It started up just fine (I attribute it to the absent common) but now there is a high frequency whistle/chirp.
I found that the new capacitor is 15uf and not 10uf (HC91CA010D/97F9002) like the previous so I put the original 10uf back in and again, it started up okay with no whistling but after a while the motor started slowing down. I attributed it to an old capacitor. I bought a new 10uf capacitor and got the same result. Motor slows down and eventually just hums. I put the 15uf back in and the blower is running quietly but if I turn on the A/C it whistles.
So - 1) I can run the blower on 15uf without A/C without the noise but if I turn on the A/C it whistles. 2) I can run the blower briefly on 10uf but the unit eventually stops.
I need to throw a voltmeter on there and see what's happening but if anyone has any ideas let me hear them. This is getting old and tomorrow will be hot. If anything the house will be cool although with the annoying whistle.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-19-13, 08:57 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,019 Votes on 946 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

A motor with no common ? How can that be ? The common is usually the neutral.

I'm a little confused with your troubleshooting there.

It sounds like your old motor is shot.
You may have incorrectly wired the new one.

Old 08-20-13, 04:40 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The new motor was a D1076 AO Smith 3/4 HP universal. The common loops within the motor and never leaves the motor. The neutral on the old motor goes to the board. I double-checked the connection to the board with the new motor. Unfortunately I believe you're right though, that it is the motor.

Last edited by DIY_Danger; 08-20-13 at 04:48 AM. Reason: New information
Old 08-20-13, 08:56 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,019 Votes on 946 Posts
That motor is a 240v motor and doesn't use a neutral.