Smaller blower wheel

Old 08-19-13, 09:08 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Smaller blower wheel

Thankfully, we got our ac back after being in complete hell for 5 days. Guy who came over actually worked on our roof on Sunday night, for 2 hours, donated his parts and time, and his goal was to just get us going so we can survive Arizona heat. He replaced blower motor and wheel with the universal part, but to my understanding the wheel he temporarily used is 2 inches smaller in diameter. He just wanted to make ac work and blow cold, and after replacing TX valve, and exchanging freon, we got cold air pretty soon after that. However, air flow is not like it used to be. he said he's coming back this week with original wheel, and our air flow should return to normal.
In the meantime, even with very low air flow, house is cold. However, ac turns on and works for very long time, even on 83F (we don't like really chilly temps), then shuts of for about 5 minutes and then goes back on for very long period of time. I was wondering if smaller blower wheel is to blame, or is our thermostat shot from losing power so many times in past few weeks? When he installs original size wheel, should our AC operation return to normal? It never cycled for such a long period of time when set on 83 degrees.
I can't ask him really, he is a friend of a friend, and i am really stressing about this, thinking about electric bill which is already high enough.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 08-19-13, 10:10 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,030 Votes on 956 Posts
What shuts off for 5 minutes..... the inside unit or the blower or both ?

If it's not moving enough air the coil could get iced and you will definitely have reduced airflow until he re-installs the correct wheel.

Your thermostat should not be damaged.

Old 08-19-13, 10:32 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
They both shut off. Thanks for your reply.

Old 08-19-13, 10:38 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,030 Votes on 956 Posts
That would mean that your thermostat is satisfied.