New AC + Humidifier + Fan - Unsure on settings

Old 08-20-13, 11:14 AM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
New AC + Humidifier + Fan - Unsure on settings

Hopefully this is OK here as it deals with a wide array of equipment.

I just purchased my first home and have been trying to figure out how everything in my furnace room works. We just recently installed an AC unit and I am hoping for a little help on how I should set all of the equipment.

Equipment List
AC: Carrier 24ABB336
Furnance: Trane XR90
Thermostat: Honeywell TH8000
Humidifier: Generalaire 1042LH
Humidistat: Generalaire M3
Additional controller: Aube TI033

My biggest concern involves the TI033 as I don't know how it will work in conjunction with AC. The TI033 appears to be controlling a fan (axc 125 a?) which turns on for 20 minutes 4 times a day or so. I am unsure how I should set this for summer and winter.

For summer I moved the humidifier dial to summer position (closed?) and turned the water shutoff valve as per the manual. The manual also made note to turn off the electricity to the unit but I see no easy way to do this beyond disconnecting the wiring. The manual made no mention of the humidistat but I moved it into the off position.

Another nuisance has been that the main room sits at a comfortable 23C with humidity 40-45% while my office upstairs is often 4-5C higher and around 35% humidity. Any suggestions on how one might improve this?

Attached a few pics of the furnace room for good measure.

Attached Images   
Old 08-20-13, 11:24 AM
T
Received 31 Upvotes on 25 Posts
Furnace and a/c coil sits in the basement - Where are the vents located, ceiling or floor level?

Old 08-20-13, 11:30 AM
P
The AC coil sits outside. Directly on the other side of pic 1 there are vents that run from the ceiling of the basement to the side of the house. Also the fan I referenced earlier I believe you can make out just a touch of it in pic 2 on the top right corner. If I can provide further information or pics please let me know as any education on my components would help me immensely.

Old 08-20-13, 11:54 AM
Received 90 Upvotes on 79 Posts
Tom was referring to the evaporator coil which is mounted inside (above the furnace in your case). Air passes through the evaporator coil to cool the house. The outside A/C unit is your compressor and condenser coil & fan. The system draws heat from the inside (cold evaporator coil) and expels it outside (warm condenser coil).

As for the warmer upstairs room, this is pretty typical. As you're no doubt aware, heat rises, so the upstairs rooms are always warmer than the downstairs room. To overcome this, you have two options. The best solution is to add a second cooling zone upstairs that is independent of the downstairs temperature. Usually this means adding a second A/C unit (you might want to look at a mini-split system). The second alternative is to adjust the airflow in the rooms by adjusting the dampers in the pipes bringing air to the rooms. Slightly close down the airflow to the downstairs rooms to send more cool air to the upstairs rooms. Be advised that if you do this, you'll likely have to readjust the dampers come winter to send less heat upstairs (remember, heat rises).

Old 08-20-13, 12:36 PM
T
Received 31 Upvotes on 25 Posts
Bob hit the nail on the head! It's all about air flow.

Old 08-20-13, 01:03 PM
P
Many thanks gents. I'll probably play around with my airflow options as wifey will not be happy if I tell her we need an additional AC unit after just getting one hah.

Any advice for me on the TI033 controlling the fan? Could there be complications with my AC unit and this activating at the same time?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: