split system

Old 08-20-13, 02:32 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
split system

I have a new system I finally managed to get the air handler to function correct but now outside unit only comes on when you push the button on it. Won't come on by itself. The last time we used the button to make sure that the outside fan was working it started working and the system was working the compressor came on and was starting to cool but as soon as the button was let go off it turned off. What am I missing to get the two working together? Help please any information that you can give to head me in the right direction would be appreciated. Want to thank you for your help now I know someone out there has the answer I have hit a wall with this thing and it's driving me crazy.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-20-13, 04:41 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 599 Votes on 553 Posts
You did not say what unit you have. It would help if you specifically told what you have; make, model number...

Old 08-20-13, 04:54 PM
Received 26 Votes on 21 Posts
I'm not sure what "button" you're pushing on the outside unit. The only thing I can think that you're pushing is the contactor. The contactor is a relay that is controlled by the thermostat. If the contactor is defective, the outside unit won't "turn on" when the thermostat calls for cooling. If it is the contactor that you're manually closing, and you have a voltmeter, you can check to see if it's working. Optionally, you could just buy a new one and replace it. It's relatively inexpensive (typically <$30).

Old 08-20-13, 05:20 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,042 Votes on 966 Posts
I'm completely lost. If you have a new system why are there problems with it ??

Is this a system you installed yourself ?
Did you connect or is there a control wire connected from the air handler to the compressor unit ?

Awful lot of mystery here.

Old 08-21-13, 04:53 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 599 Votes on 553 Posts
This member has also got another thread going here. Possibly related?

Unfortunately katchiquita1 you start threads but do not answer anyone's questions. We have many skilled profesionals on this site but they cannot help if you do not provide needed information or answer their questions.