AC condenser woes.

Old 08-25-13, 10:16 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
AC condenser woes.

Hello everyone, hopefully you can help me out here since i know very little about AC's. I'm living in a 25 year old home with a heat pump. I was having some condensate drainage issues and found a multitude of things.

The Drain coming directly out of the A was partially plugged so i shop vacced it out. But i did notice that the coils on the A was pretty dirty i tried the foaming coil cleaner but it didnt hardly touch it. Should i use a brush on it to get the gunk off?

Now my main question:
The drain line coming out of the condenser feeds into a 3 inch pipe that exits at the base of my home right at the AC unit. There is a copper line that im assuming is carrying the freon, a larger copper line and also a wire running through this pipe. The drain pipes on the inside of the house for the hot water heater and the A condenser just drop into this larger pipe.

There is no P trap or anything like this. I cleaned out some mud and dead bugs that had drowned at the opening at the outside of the 3 " drain/carrier pipe. Upon cleaning this out i noticed that when the Ac turned on some water was being suked back into the pipe but not actually traveling back up it.

Im going to go out on a limb here and say that this isnt normal right? Do i need to do anything to the drain pipes besides just letting it drip into this pipe. because ultimately it makes a small pool of water between my house and tHe AC unit.

Didnt have time to take pictures today but i can if you cannot picture what im describing.

Old 08-25-13, 07:49 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
The water being sucked up is likely due to the lack of a trap. There should be a trap & a tee for drain venting downstream of the trap.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: