Breaking keeps flipping

Old 09-02-13, 07:53 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Breaking keeps flipping

The air conditioner tries to work but the breaker flips. It doesn't actually move over at the panel, but it snaps and the condenser makes and effort and then goes out. The blower blows, the thermostat does its part, but the condenser outside gives one effort - breaker snaps and then its out.
Question - the fact that the breaker never actually moves over but just clicks - does that indicate a bad breaker?
Also, the fuses are pretty new - I don't know how you can tell if they've gone bad. They do make a sifting sound if you shake them next to the ear.

Old 09-02-13, 10:48 AM
Received 30 Votes on 25 Posts
Typically when a breaker trips, it doesn't actually move the breaker handle to the off position. Without testing, it's impossible to say what the problem is. It could be a shorted winding on the compressor motor, a bad start capacitor, a defective circuit breaker, or something else. You should get someone out to measure the current draw on the compressor.

Old 09-02-13, 11:27 AM
B
I replaced the breaker and the fan does now come on. It doesn't appear though that the compressor is running. The fan will occasionally slow as if making an effort to continue or to engage something and then the fan resumes. I checked the start capacitor and found what is on the following pics.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/2dqpkegq1c74udq/c7LrWqi49a

The wire from the condenser seems burnt at the contact point. But intact, nevertheless.
What do you think.

Old 09-02-13, 11:49 AM
Received 30 Votes on 25 Posts
I looked at your pictures, and it appears that the contactor is in bad shape (burn marks). Also, as you mentioned, the red or orange wire appears burned burned at/near the connector where it attaches to the contactor. I would suggest that you replace the contactor and either the red/orange wire, or at least the last inch of wire & terminal where it connects to the contactor. You likely have high resistance in the wire/connector/contactor. This will cause a voltage drop at the compressor, making it hard to startup.

Old 09-02-13, 02:28 PM
B
Thanks

Thanks for your info. It's amazing what you can learn between google, youtube and Chat rooms like this. I cut off the end of the orange wire and replaced the connector at it's end. Below it was a smaller wire that was corroded completely through and broken off - fixed that as well. Wasn't able to replace the contactor because the Holiday has the only place to get one locally closed down. I cleaned off the part as best I could. Tomorrow I will replace it. Anyway - NOW IT WORKS. FIXED IT!
Thanks for your assistance. I do wonder though, could the fact that the contractor and those wires were so burnt out mean that something else is on the verge of failing?

Old 09-02-13, 02:34 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,610 Votes on 1,482 Posts
I do wonder though, could the fact that the contractor and those wires were so burnt out mean that something else is on the verge of failing?
No.....contactors fail with age. They are handling a lot of load when they connect. Those wires on the contactor were probably loose which would make them burn like that.

Change that contactor...... ASAP.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: