Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Heating, Cooling, Air Conditioning, Ventilation and T-Stat Controls > Air Conditioning and Cooling Systems
Reload this Page >

AC condensate not draining from drip pan, but goes to overflow pan & trips unit

Old 09-12-13, 02:56 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Hi. My girlfriend started having this issue, and called an AC service company. They came and tried to unclog drain by sucking with wet-vac outside at end of drain, and blowing nitrogen from unit side of drain. They also cleaned coils, replaced a capacitor ($119), etc. They said pvc leaving unit was older & briitle, so they replaced several feet to the down-pipe.

After they left, problem with water not flowing through drain, but going down overflow pipe to pan under unit started again within 10 min. The drain to the outside is about 50' (12' down to 1st floor, then about 35' under foundation to the outside where it then comes up out of the ground for several inches then 90's.

Main question is could it be he freed the clog, but then screwed up the flow by how he installed the new pvc? A wet-vac on outside seems to suck through & will suck all water out of condensate pan & an obvious suction noise can be clearly heard. But no flow under normal conditions. I'm not sure how the old pvc exited the unit, though tech says he put it back as was. He seemed to not be sure if vent ("T") should be capped, or what. Also, could the trap he installed after the vent be part of the problem, or maybe a second trap, as isn't there one under foundation where it then comes back out of the ground?

Any feedback & suggestions greatly appreciated on what to do next.

Thanks.

Attached Images  
Old 09-12-13, 05:57 PM
G
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
I would call them back if they were there to repair a water leak and it's stilled leaked. That tee should be capped,I put a small flame there and if it sucks in cap it. Sometimes they need what I call a snorkel after the trap,open pipe higher then pan.Could be they displaced some heavy lint or something when they cleaned coil and after replugged it.

Old 09-12-13, 07:14 PM
T
You are correct. The tech double trapped it and probably made the original problem worse. Those Florida drains can be a beast, especially if you dont know what you are doing.

Old 09-19-13, 07:08 AM
M
I used a wet/dry vac to clean my outside a/c drain pipe and allot of moldy water came out, but now the drain pipe is not filling up with water. Should I use a snake from the inside to ensure there is no clogs in the pipes? I poured clorex in the inside drain also. I used the vac yesterday a.m. and I don't know how long it takes for the water to refill. I used a hose to fill it and the water topped off and went through the pipe. I live in South Florida. Any help would be appreciated.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: