Ac: smaller cooper line sweating

Old 09-15-13, 04:19 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Ac: smaller cooper line sweating

I have an older condenser but mechanically everything's working fine. My ac blows almost room temp air and the smaller of the two cooper lines is very cold to the touch and sweating. The larger cooper line is a little above room temp. My ac guy has changed the orface and has cut the copper lines in several spots to blow them out with nitrogen to see if there was a clog. The system is charged with r22 and has been checked several times to see if its over or under. Any help would be greatly appreciated. First time home buyer and am going nuts with this one!

Old 09-15-13, 04:34 AM
Received 82 Upvotes on 72 Posts
Have you checked to see if the evaporator coil is freezing up? How is the airflow, is it weak? If so, that's often an indication that the evaporator is freezing up.

Old 09-15-13, 05:00 AM
B
Yeah both coil a-coil and condenser coils have been cleaned thoroughly

Old 09-15-13, 06:08 AM
T
Received 31 Upvotes on 25 Posts
The first issue I see is how could the tech possibly verify the charge if the system is indeed operating like that? It's basically impossible.

Is this a heat pump?

Old 09-15-13, 09:51 AM
B
The system is a split system cooling by trane. The first time the coolant was check was about a 6 weeks ago and ot was fine this is before I had the problem was just getting it checked since I just got the house. Since I've had the problem it was rechecked and it was sitting at the same.

Old 09-15-13, 11:15 AM
T
Received 31 Upvotes on 25 Posts
Doesn't sound rite.
If the system isn't cooling and the line set temperatures are all wrong, then there's no way a tech could measure the systems refrigerant level. It's just not happening.
I think you might need to look for a new HVAC company.

Old 09-22-13, 08:49 AM
It would appear there could be a restriction, somewhere upstream, in the small high-side liquid line going to the metering device to the evaporator coil; perhaps a partially plugged liquid-line filter/drier.

This will cause a pressure drop & vaporization of some of the liquid in the line, this will lead to condensation, &/or frosting of the line.

You can't check the charge when there is a restriction in the flow of refrigerant...it won't be accurate in any way...superheat & subcooling will both be high; head pressure, suction & compressor amp-draw will all be low.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: