A/C Fan Stuck to ON

Old 09-20-13, 11:47 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
A/C Fan Stuck to ON

I have a 3year old 2 story home with the dual zone A/C setup. Lately I've noticed the AC blower never shutting off.. The A/C cools appropriately and you can hear the unit outside turn on and kick off like usual, but the fan just never stops pushing air through the house. Both the upstairs and downstairs thermostats are set to "auto" fan and "HOLD" on their temps.
Upon taking the upstairs thermostat off the wall, the fan turned off. Is the answer to the problem simply replacing the thermostat upstairs, or does the unit have some sort of default to auto shut off everything if a thermostat is disconnected? Could it be a contact on the outside unit? If it makes any difference, it's a Honeywell digital thermostat. Plugging the unit back into the wall after several minutes, sadly, kicks the fan back on even if the temp is set way higher than the actual temp(keeping the compressor off.)
Slightly off topic but just curious - does the fan suck down much electricity? It's summer time, but the elec bill does seem higher than I ever remember in the past..

Sponsored Links
Old 09-21-13, 10:18 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,118 Votes on 1,038 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

If it makes any difference, it's a Honeywell digital thermostat.
Honeywell makes literally hundreds of digital thermostats. From the basic to the extreme.

But in your case it does indeed sound like a defective thermostat. I'm guessing that the blower fan was working correctly in the recent past and this is a new problem.

There are two trains of thought. Leave the fan on auto to just move the cool air while it's being generated or leave fan on to keep temps even in the house.

In a dual system like yours I would think that running the blower on auto would be more energy effecient.