Made a rookie mistake on installing a new Thermostat

Old 09-26-13, 11:26 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Made a rookie mistake on installing a new Thermostat

First off I'm replacing a White Rodgers model 1F58W-77 with a Hunter model 44133 and you guessed it, I forgot to label the wires. I have 6 wires R,Y,G,W,Brown,Blue. The model # of the air handler is ff1cna024. When I Google that number it comes up a Carrier. R,G,Y are self explanatory however white blue and brown have me a bit confused. I am convinced I took the brown off of the O but can't remember the Blue or white. This is a 2 stage heat, 1 stage cool heat pump, according to the old thermostat. I have thoroughly learned never to jump the gun ever again

Old 09-26-13, 11:51 PM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
Go to the furnace and open the door where the thermostat connections are made. You should be able to read the designations where the like colored wires are connected to the control board.

Old 09-27-13, 07:58 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The air handler would have to be removed from the wall as its in a tight space to see the connections

Old 09-27-13, 09:00 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,614 Votes on 1,486 Posts
Removed from the wall ?? It's supposed to be installed where it's serviceable.

R = red
G = green
Y = yellow
O = brown
W2 = white
X1 = blue

That would be my educated guess on the old connections.
The O is the reversing valve for the heatpump.
W2 is aux heat which I take as 2nd stage heat
X1 is common

You can check my guess on the blue wire by using a voltmeter. You should measure +/- 24vac between blue and every other wire.

Make sure to turn the power off to the air handler when messing with the wiring (except for testing) because if you short them out there may be a protection fuse you would have to get to.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: