Outdoors AC unit fan not working

Old 10-03-13, 08:34 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Outdoors AC unit fan not working

(I'm a teen and don't much about this stuff. i'm looking into this for my parents)

Well yesterday our AC decided to stop blowing cool air. The thermostat read that it was 85 degrees inside which is not fun to sleep in especially when its 69 degrees outside but you don't want to open a window.

We had no idea what was wrong with it. Parents thought it may needed some freon, or they thought they had to change the filter. Welp heard a loud buzzing sound outside last night but didn't know where it was coming from. So this morning I heard it start up again so I went out to investigate and it was coming from the outdoor unit. I peeped in through the top and notice the fan wasn't spinning at all but the unit was making a loud obnoxious noise.

Anyways I searched google and since I saw some things saying by running the system and the fan not working can make things worse so I just ran and turned off the thermostat.

I have no idea exactly how old the may be. I know our home was completed in 2004. The outside unit is black says Goodman in red and white.

So that's is all the info I can provide since I am not HVAC savvy sorry. But can any one explain what the problem may be and how much repairs may cost?

Old 10-03-13, 08:41 AM
Received 12 Upvotes on 12 Posts
More than likely it is the run capacitor for your fan. Check out this thread from yesterday that had a similar situation and how it was resolved. If you provide the model number of your outside unit it will help someone to better assist you. In the meantime, turn on the thermostat to "Cool" and take a thin stick and stick it through the grates in the top of the outside unit and push the fan blade. If the fan starts spinning then more than likely the problem is the run capacitor.

http://www.doityourself.com/forum/ai...de-c-unit.html

Post back and give us the results of the "stick test" and we can go from there.

Old 10-03-13, 08:58 AM
T
thanks for your quick reply. Turned the thermostat back on. Grabbed a clothing hanger and ran outside. Gave the fan a light tap and the sucker started spinning.

Old 10-03-13, 09:02 AM
It appears you have a bad run capacitor. Can you post the model number from the plate on the back of your outside unit? In the link I posted there were some photos of what a run capacitor looks like. Did you want to try and repair this self or do you want to call in a professional?

Old 10-03-13, 09:09 AM
T
The back sticker says Goodman Model CKL36-1L.
My dad will probably fix since he's the only one knowledgeable on this type of stuff. Good to hear it's a cheap fix. Mom was worried that she may have to pay several 100 dollars to get it fixed.

Old 10-03-13, 09:15 AM
If you have a Grainger's or Johnstone Supply in your city you can pick up a run capacitor for a decent price. Otherwise, you will have to order one from the internet.

Old 10-03-13, 09:21 AM
T
Okay thank you for your help!!

Old 10-03-13, 09:43 AM
You are welcome. The documentation I found shows your original dual run capacitor is a 50+5 mfd 440VAC. I would suggest your Dad shut the power off to the outside unit and remove the access panel to verify what rating the capacitor is. If the fan motor was replaced at some time it could have a different size or a separate run capacitor. It is important to replace the run capacitor with the exact same rating for maximum performance and efficiency. Make sure your Dad discharges the capacitor using an insulated screwdriver or needle-nose pliers before touching it.

Old 10-03-13, 05:44 PM
T
I just wanted to say thank you from me and my family. My dad went out and purchased a new run capacitor and the fan is working just fine. Now the air is back up and working better than before. It feels amazing. I don't have to worry about sleeping in the heat tonight. Thank you so much.

Old 10-03-13, 05:47 PM
Glad to hear you are back up and cooling off. Thanks for letting us know the outcome as it will help others in the future.

Old 10-05-13, 05:47 PM
T
Sorry to bug ya again but ran into another problem.

Like I said the other day everything was fine and blowing some cool air but today there is absolutely no air blowing out of our vents. Went out to check the outdoor unit and noticed ice building on the pipes connecting unit to our home.

Was told it is probably low on Freon, Possibly leak somewhere?

Old 10-05-13, 07:32 PM
That is certainly one possibility for the icing. You say there is no air coming out of your vents. Is the blower inside working? A major cause of icing other than low refrigerant is not enough air flow. Make sure the filter(s) is/are clean. Make sure the evaporator coil (inside) is clean and the condenser coil is clean outside. Make sure the condenser fan and the blower inside are both working.

Last edited by firedawgsatx; 10-05-13 at 08:34 PM.
Old 10-05-13, 10:55 PM
T
Yea no air comes out. We ended up turning off the a/c again for a 12 hours and then we turned it back on to test it. Cold air started blowing again. But we turned it back off. We did clean the condenser coil when we changed the run capacitor but I have no idea if they cleaned the evaporator coil. The condenser fan and blower are both working and the filter is brand new.

Old 10-06-13, 05:55 AM
Then most likely either the evaporator coil is dirty or the system is low on refrigerant.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: