AC compressor no longer working.

Old 10-06-13, 08:55 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
AC compressor no longer working.

Noticed the AC was no longer blowing cold air. Checked the outside unit and the cooling fan was still running but the compressor was not coming on. I checked the capacitor and one of the wires had overheated and melted one of the capacitor terminals. After a closer look the red and black main wires that run directly from the compressor also overheated and melted back some of their plastic shielding at the terminal connection that then feeds the capacitor. So now I am looking for some advice on whether the capacitor went bad and caused all of the problems or if the compressor has gone bad. ***I have attached pictures and the compressor leads picture posted upside down for some reason but when viewed correctly you can see the large red/black leads coming in from the bottom of the picture and you can see the damage on the black one at the connection. Thanks

Attached Images   
Old 10-06-13, 09:15 AM
Group Moderator
Received 4,146 Upvotes on 3,723 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Since that three terminal capacitor only has two wires connected to it... there must be another one nearby. The compressor needs a cap and so does the fan or they share a double one.

The other end that's burned is connected to the contactor. The contactor needs to be checked for burned operating contacts.

Without replacing that cap and the defective wiring.... there is no way to know if the compressor is operational. If it's an older unit, I'd change the contactor anyway.

Old 10-06-13, 12:05 PM
D
Thanks PJmax. There is another small cap for the fan motor. I will replace the cap, contractor and wire ends and give it a whirl.

Old 10-06-13, 12:07 PM
Received 12 Upvotes on 12 Posts
Burned wires/terminals are usually the result of loose connections.

Old 10-07-13, 05:05 PM
D
Cap and contactor replaced, wires fixed. $50 and I have a working unit. Thanks!

Old 10-07-13, 07:07 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,146 Upvotes on 3,723 Posts
Good job.... thanks for updating us on the outcome.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: