AC fan outside not working

Old 10-06-13, 04:13 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
AC fan outside not working

I'm not very knowledgable about all this. I'll try my best to accurately describe as best as I can. My husband is out of state working so it's up to me to try to get it fixed. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

About 2 weeks ago the outside fan quit working. A tech (well, wannabe tech that causes more damage than he fixes) come out and looked at it. He said he cleaned evaporator and condenser coils, cleaned out drain, recharged freon, and replaced capacitor. Today the fan quit working again. The breaker on unit was tripped so I flipped it back. It sounded like it was trying to work (only when thermostat was set to "off" and fan switched to "on"). I used a stick to spin the blades to make it start working (I was told to do this last time) This time though it didn't work. During this process there was a "pop" sound, a spark from underneath fan blades, and a little smoke. I immediately flipped the breaker on unit off. I haven't messed with it since.

Calling the same tech back out is NOT an option. What can I do?

Brittney

Here is a picture of the sticker on unit with the info about it.

Attached Images  
Old 10-06-13, 08:55 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,149 Upvotes on 3,726 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Unfortunately it appears that the condenser fan motor has shorted out and will need to be replaced. You may have to turn to another service company for assistance.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: