Question about replacing Capacitor on Trane XL 1200 condensor...

Old 10-07-13, 01:47 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question about replacing Capacitor on Trane XL 1200 condensor...

Hi everyone,

I am another victim of broken A/C when we need it the most. Friday the a/c decided to stop working. In the past replacing fuse fixed the problem but this time after doing some research it might be the capacitors in the condenser. I am trying to do everything I can before calling a technician.

Info: Condenser is Trane XL1200 model TTX036C100A0
Capacitor part number form manual:
CPT0091 Capacitor, START, 135-155 MFD, with Resistor
CPT0272 Capacitor, Run, 40MFD, 400V, Round with Resistor

Currently when I turn the switch to on, fan does not kick start. I did not test the heater to see if the blower kicks on inside the house. I went ahead and pulled both capacitors and took them to the HVAC supplier to get the part.

I noticed that the start capacitor (black one) had some leakage on the top. I assume that might be the reason why.

Items Purchased:
CPT00091 - Start Capacitor have the same spec 135MFD, 330V, Round but i dont see a resistor not even on the original one. this resister is different shape and size will not fit in the hole. (Should i just buy the right one?)
Mars 12745 - Compatible model meets spec size and everything. 40MFD, 440/370vac. Only diff is that the resistor is on the other side.

Now the question:

Both Capacitor has 2 terminal does it matter how you connect them back??? By looking at the resistor in the capacitor there are colors i am not sure if the color have anything to do with the current flow. I was going to put the "run" capacitor exactly the same way as the original one but for the "start" capacitor there is no way for me to distinguish how to install it.

I am planning on replacing the black capacitor because that obviously seems to be the problem here and leave the other one alone. I will be doing this tomorrow since is all rainy outside today. I just want to make sure i am doing the right thing... Thanks.

Name:  2013-10-07T10-15-34_0.jpg
Views: 35733
Size:  47.8 KB
Name:  2013-10-07T10-15-05_1.jpg
Views: 13684
Size:  32.7 KB
Name:  2013-10-07T10-15-05_0.jpg
Views: 13468
Size:  37.9 KB

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 10-07-13, 04:13 PM
The two capacitors you purchased have nothing to do with the problem you are experiencing with the condenser fan. The start capacitor is to assist the compressor to start up. The 40mfd run capacitor is for the compressor. If I remember correctly you should have another run capacitor for the fan maybe in the right hand side of your control area. I am not sure what the mfd rating is off-hand. I have posted a photo with the run capacitor circled in a unit that is similar.

Attached Images  

Last edited by firedawgsatx; 10-07-13 at 05:02 PM.
Old 10-07-13, 08:20 PM
oh snap. well tomorrow i will start by putting everything back together and install the run capacitor anyway since the old one looks kinda messed up. Then turn everything back on to see if it works. Should i turn on the heater to see if the the problem is with the blower???

After looking at the diagram I saw the small fan capacitor you mentioned.
Part number for me is
CPT0072 Capacitor, Fan, 5MFD, 370V, Oval w/o resistor. I will take a closer look to see if there is any problem with it...

I was discussing with my colleague about this issue and as soon he heard "capacitor" he immediately told me to watch out with that I can get electrocuted and shocked. Is this really something safe to handle? From my understanding capacitor holds charge or is this different from those in the car attached to subwoofer and amps??

Old 10-07-13, 08:29 PM
Group Moderator
Received 416 Votes on 389 Posts
Big capacitors like that can "possibly" hold a charge. Yours have resistors on them which slowly bleed the voltage off of them.

If you want to be 100% sure they are discharged....make sure main power is off and short across the two contacts with an insulated handle screwdriver.

And just an FYI..... with caps like the ones used in there units.... there is no polarity since they are used on AC. The wires can go on either way.

Old 10-07-13, 09:12 PM
thanks,, that is good info. Now i dont have to worry about connecting it wrong.

Old 10-08-13, 09:28 AM
Updates:

I put everything back together. I only replaced the black "Start" capacitor and I wasn't able to test the A/C because is 68 degree currently.

Instead I set the heater to 74 and nothing. I hear the thermostat click, waited 10mins for heater to start but still no sound.

this might be a problem with the "blower" or relay in the basement??
What other thing should i check?

Old 10-08-13, 09:44 AM
ALRIGHT, Thanks everyone.

My problem was actually not a real problem. After testing the heater and realized it didnt work, I started focusing on the blower. Went down to the basement checking for burnt wires, capacitors, anything and noticed the oil burner wont turn on. I saw there was the "emergency oil burner" shut off switch that was on.

I was going to trouble shoot the thermostat but it clicks when i turn it on and off. So that couldnt be the problem. On my way back up stair i noticed another switch for the "emergency oil burner" shutoff switch and this one was off.. flipped to on and heater works, tested AC and works too!! so that switch upstairs controls the blower i guess..
So i am all good!!

Old 10-08-13, 10:21 AM
Yes, that switch is to shut power off to the furnace so it can be serviced. A lot of people make the same mistake thinking it is a light switch. Your 24V to control the contactor at your condenser originate in the furnace. Glad you found the problem.

Old 10-08-13, 02:33 PM
I can laugh at it now that is all good.

Basically my in law came to visit with out first calling. I got home from work around 6pm on a Thursday and saw they were cooking in the house with the windows all wide open. I just decided to turn off the A/C because I have no idea how long hey are going to leave the Window open.

Next morning they left and house wasn't that hot so left the A/C off. After work I saw my dog panting and it was 82 so decided to turn the A/C back on. But A/C will not come on.. then I started trying to fix the condenser.. fuse.. capacitor.. and found the switch that fixed the problem...

Today told my wife the whole story. She flipped not because all the work I went through but because she couldn't sleep for two nights and immediately called her dad for a good scolding and found that the step mom was the one flipping switches. She couldn't turn on the light to the basement. I installed those energy efficient bulb and it takes a while to brighten up.. sigh... well not the first time things like this happen.. well glad in the end nobody got hurt and nothing broke..