Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Heating, Cooling, Air Conditioning, Ventilation and T-Stat Controls > Air Conditioning and Cooling Systems
Reload this Page >

7yr.old TownHouse AC unit leaking inside closet onto filter & then onto floor

Old 10-17-13, 10:49 AM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

HELP PLEASE. I have no exp. My carpet is wet, my filter is wet each time I turn the AC on. I'm in hot Florida but don't live home most of the time so I have it off. Unit cools quickly the town house. I have it at 82 while I'm there, because it cools great. 1 problem: leak. Unit is inside a closet. Above the filter is a grill, which is slanted onto a drip pan, which has no water (I did shop vac the pipe line twice & stuff came out outside, looked like wet tissue paper). But leak continued. It leaks straight down from the grill, grill looks not dirty. (It all still looks new)
Got prof service, I had a "seasonal job" done so they would clean grill with a spray to cut "grease". I saw the guy open the whole unit, look at the coils, & then he went to unit outside & connected some tubes with pressure gauges. He said I needed freon, that I only had "50psi" & needed 2-3lbs more at $60/lb. He said it was the reason my unit was not cooling. I told him, :NO NO NO: "NO! my unit cools just fine, my problem (if you were not told by your company) is that I have a leak in the closet." He said that it sounded like I had two problems, no freon & a leak, that I needed him to add freon for my unit to cool. I was livid bc my unit cooled great & now it was not cooling at all!!! I didn't let him add the freon, I didn't have that kind of $ & just didn't trust him anymore.
Please tell me what is wrong with my 7yr.old unit & what can I do?
I now have 2 problems: the leak & it won't cool.

Old 10-17-13, 11:19 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 791 Votes on 728 Posts
I had a similar problem in a package unit which resides outside but could be seen leaking on the foundation pad. Like your's the coil is at a steep angle and only has a catch pan at the very bottom. Condensation was dripping from the coil instead of running down and into the catch pan. It appeared to be caused by dirt/lint on the coil. The water would run down until it got to a dirt spot and then drip. Since it was outside so I gently cleaned the aluminum fins with degreaser/cleaner (Simple Green or Purple Power) and thoroughly rinsed it off and it took care of the problem. Three years later and the problem has not reoccurred.

Old 10-17-13, 12:18 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
I have moved you to Air Conditioning.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: