New Rheem System not keeping temperature

Old 10-21-13, 04:00 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Unhappy New Rheem System not keeping temperature

First time posting here. New Rheem system installed January 2012. Old system was not keeping up and was rotting away, 20yrs old. I live in Florida and I think the system is a heat pump system. Air Handler model# RHLL-HM3617JA. Outside Unit Model#14AJM36A01. Originally the installer put in a 2.5 ton unit to match the old unit. When summer came, the unit was not keeping temperature set at t-stat. They came out and Rheem upgraded the unit to a 3 ton at no charge. Our house is 1450Sq/ft under air with just my wife and I living here. Even after the 3 ton was installed we had days where it wouldn't keep temperature. They came out again to inspect, but the system was performing to spec and not acting up at the time. It seems like if a 3 or more people come over, like if we're having company, it is just too much for the system. Sounds crazy right? Example: This past Sunday we had 8 people over for the game and the t-stat was set at 73 and the inside temp headed north to 78. Since we had company I wasn't able to do a thourough check of the system, but here's what I found... The outside temp was around 89 degrees. A digital thermometer at a vent approximately 15ft from handler showed 58 degrees. The temp at the t-stat was 78. There is good flow at all vents and normally the farthest vent only has a few degrees difference from the one near the handler.

It looks to me like the A/C is cooling correctly. Could it be that I have windows and doors leaking? The house was built in 1992 with single pane windows. The attic has good insulation. The refrigerator is from 1992 also. It seems to be operating normally, but could it be generating too much heat? Seems far fetched. Any help would be appreciated. It is an intermittent problem, so I can't supply much more info unless it acts up. The handler is in my garage and some condensation forms on the outside panels of it. Not sure if that is normal. I thought about renting a thermal camera at home depot to check for duct, window and door leaks. It is a concrete house, not wood frame.

Old 10-21-13, 06:12 PM
C
Received 7 Upvotes on 7 Posts
Delta T of 20 (78-58) is very good. unless the house's insulation is very bad, or leak somewhere as you mentioned, the in-house temp should go down quickly while outside temp was only 89. The only other thing you need to check is : Is the vent air flow strong ? you should feel the cold air from 8-10 feet away.

Old 10-21-13, 10:05 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,972 Upvotes on 3,565 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

You mentioned the air handler is in the garage.
Are the lines between that unit and the house insulated ?

Old 10-22-13, 10:01 AM
R
Yes, the lines are insulated with the foam covering between the unit and house.

Old 10-22-13, 10:04 AM
R
Yes, there is strong airflow. I can feel it 8-10 feet from registers. I'm leaning toward a leak somewhere. Home Depot rents the thermal cameras, but I don't have any training with them. I called three inspectors with thermal cameras yesterday and none of them have called back. One person I got live said it would be $475 to do a thermal camera inspection. I can rent one for $75/day at Home Depot.

Old 10-22-13, 11:59 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,972 Upvotes on 3,565 Posts
For 75.00 it would be worth it to try yourself.

Several videos on you tube discussing how to use one. One video is in the following link.
HOME INSPECTION USING AN INFRARED THERMAL IMAGER - You Tube

Old 10-22-13, 05:01 PM
R
Thank you for the link! I'll check it out.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: