AC unit not working.. ~ its a hot fall in October in Miami..

Old 10-22-13, 07:49 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
AC unit not working.. ~ its a hot fall in October in Miami..

Good morning everyone..

( this no name unit has had the compressor replaced and the capacitor before ~ about 4 years ago.. )

Iíve been reading all night to try to figure out whatís wrong with my AC.

Yesterday, I head a strange noise with my AC unit. I went outside and noticed the fan had stopped but the compressor was still making noise.. I turned the unit off and started to do my research..

I did the stick trick ( I took a thin rod to move the fan as my wife turned the unit on ) and it worked. So I do have cool air during this hot October in Miami..

So whatís my next step? Should I try to replace the capacitor myself? Should I call someone to come out? Your advise would be greatly appreciated..

Old 10-22-13, 08:18 AM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
It sounds like it is the run capacitor. Replace it with an exact match and you should be good to go. Don't forget to shut power off to the unit and discharge the capacitor before touching it.

Old 10-22-13, 08:49 AM
S
how do I discharge the run capacitor..? ( what's the degree of difficulty..) it looks simple..

Old 10-22-13, 09:04 AM
After the power is shut off to the unit use an insulated pair of needle nose pliers or insulated screwdriver blade to touch between the terminals on top of the run capacitor. If it is a dual run capacitor with three sets of terminals touch between C and Fan, then C and Herm and then Fan and Herm. The degree of difficulty is on the lower scale.

Old 10-22-13, 10:06 AM
S
thanks.. last question before I start.. where does one purchase a capacitor..? Lowes? Home Depot?

Old 10-22-13, 10:09 AM
No, the big box stores don't normally sell run capacitors. The best local source is usually a Grainger's or Johnstone Supply. If you don't have one of those stores locally your best source is the internet. It pays to shop around on the internet as prices vary considerably.

Old 10-24-13, 08:34 AM
S
I'm very happy to report that I was able to replace my run capacitor.. my AC is working.. it came right on.. the fan started without me pushing it.. I'm eager to see what happens when the AC turns off on its own and starts back up automatically.. I've save a ton of $$$.. I only spent $19

firedawgsatx - thank you for your step-by-step instructions..

Old 10-24-13, 09:40 AM
You are very welcome. Glad you got it back up and running. Thanks for letting us know the outcome.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: