Existing Connections

Old 11-17-13, 08:47 AM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Existing Connections

I purchased my house 11 years ago brand new. It came equipped with connections for a central air conditioner. We live in an area where air conditioning isn't really required and the connections coming from the wall are in the way of another project I wish to start. I wish to remove the connections but I don't wish to damage anything or reduce the value of the home for later sale. There is a small copper line coming out along with another copper line just under 1" in diameter. There is also a single white wire. There doesn't appear to be any electrical and another cover close by appears to be for any necessary electrical. I would like to cut these pipes and wire close to the wall. Anyone have any experience in this?

Old 11-17-13, 12:14 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,052 Upvotes on 3,635 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

It sounds like they left capped stubs there for future a future A/C installation.
If you cut those pipes flush to the wall you will render them pretty useless for future use.

Old 11-17-13, 12:20 PM
K
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The pipes were not capped. They left them open. Since they come from inside the wall, couldn't someone sweat on new pipes at a later date? What I really want to know is what they are for so that if I decide to cut them I don't have a problem with something I am not prepared for. My automatic sprinklers being connected directly to the street water instead of through the house pipes comes to mind.

Old 11-17-13, 04:32 PM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Can you take a picture?
Considered having a HVAC company come take a look?
Not sure what sprinklers have to do with an A/C.

Old 11-17-13, 04:39 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,052 Upvotes on 3,635 Posts
If you cut the pipes and the control wire off then you would have to open the wall at a later date should you wish to make use of them.

Will cutting them off affect resale.... I'd say yes. You couldn't very well say that the house came with A/C piping and wiring in place but you cut it off. It wouldn't be a negative.....it just wouldn't be a positive feature.

Old 11-18-13, 04:14 AM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Upvotes on 62 Posts
I don't think you have to worry about damaging the home's value by removing those lines.
They were made useless by not being capped.
No competent refrigeration mechanic would use them not knowing what contamination (bugs?) is in there.
New refrigerants need super clean tubing and they are not necessarily going to be the right size.

Old 11-18-13, 04:55 AM
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
I agree with Greg! Id never use those lines.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: