Constant drips from one AC duct in winter

Old 11-29-13, 10:24 AM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Constant drips from one AC duct in winter

Hello,
My wife noticed today drips coming from our master bath AC duct in the ceiling. It's winter here in CT and the AC unit is off. All the ducts in the house are closed (we have oil heat).

I took the duct cover off and it appears that the water is coming from the side of the duct as opposed inside the duct but when I went into the attic and dug as far to the vent as I could (its very close to the edge of the roof so I couldn't really get over to it completely) and shook the AC line and a lot more water came out, perhaps a couple cups. It appears there is water inside this line. Why would the water be there and what would cause it? I do also have a bathroom fan directly next to the AC vent in the ceiling that has an exhaust line however this appears to be working ok in the attic.

I did go outside today and checked the two drain lines with a metal hangar and both appeared to be unclogged (at least 3 ft up into them).

Any ideas? I'm stumped as to why the water would form in this one line and how to correct it without paying for expensive hourly HVAC service. Can it just be the steam from showers somehow making its way up there and condensing?

Thanks!
Neil

Old 11-29-13, 10:58 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 95 Upvotes on 88 Posts
Define AC line...

Air duct, suction line, condensate drain line, bathroom vent pipe.

If you mean an air duct, it may be shower steam but this would be unusual.

Old 11-29-13, 02:06 PM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Oh its an air duct in the bathroom ceiling where the central air enters the room. I've never had this happen before and it isn't doing it in any other room in the house. Once I shook the tube feeding the air and the water came out it has seemed to slow. Not sure if there was or how there was a buildup of water in the tube. Does that help?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: