Odour from heating ducts

Old 12-15-13, 03:49 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Odour from heating ducts

I just moved into a new place. 25 years new. There is MILD mildew odor from heat ducts and easiest to notice when the heat stops. Like heat runs in cycles 5 minute on 10 off so when it stops I notice that odor and it is like 1-2 out of 10. I believe it is only on upper floor not main floor.

There is odor when I go to my basement that smells much stronger and its like rotten eggs. Its mostly there when the heat is on or after heat stops or shuts down. It affects only the first part of stair area, but when you turn down to the rest of the stairs its hard to notice any smell.

In livingroom ceiling there is 1 stain on the ceiling (and a few small once). The landlord said its been there at least 8 years. I don't know if it is related but i do know that if water gets into heating ducts it can cause leak on the ceiling. (above ceiling there is bedroom not a washroom)

My dad and I get burning in the eyes. We called a natural gas company and no gas was detected plus I have a very good detector for carbon monoxide. I replaced the filter in the furnace.

The landlord is going to do furnace and duct cleaning soon.

Having a small child on chemotherapy, my fear is mold.

I have 2 questions. If there is (black) mold in the ducts, can the duct cleaning disturb it and make it worse (I don't expect them to clean up the mold if there is any)

2) Do you have any suggestyions? If my kid wasn't dealing with cancer issues, I would panic about it.

Thanks everyone.

PS. The previous tenants were landlords family so I dont trust them.

Name:  photo(1).JPG
Views: 331
Size:  40.0 KB

This is the stain its about 5x15" and a few small once that way less darker than this one

Sponsored Links
Old 12-15-13, 04:37 PM
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
The stain does not bother me. Yes duct cleaning if not done correctly can makes things worse. A good company should take around 6 hours to clean an average house. They should use negative air and not shopvacs or rotobrush

Old 12-15-13, 06:01 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Landlord said no way, neg. air is too expensive